Blue iris server without static public ip

Reaction score
Hi guys, im using a gpon network provider, so, no static public ip address, and no port control whatsoever, any suggetion to access blueiris?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What router do they have installed in your home?

You should have an ONT -> Router unless its all one unit.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
its a zte zxhn f680
Have you logged into that device to see what options are available for port forwarding?

I'm not recommending you port forward to you BI server. But before we can offer much help we need to see what that device is capable of.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
GPON is just a method of fiber optic networking that lets multiple users share one strand of fiber to make it cheaper for the internet provider. It doesn't have any effect on the network protocols you can use, or on static IPs and port forwarding. So how sure are you that you don't have control over port forwarding?

Go here: Open Port Checker That page will tell you what your public IP address is. (don't post your public IP address here, that is sensitive information).

Hopefully it is an IPv4 address, e.g. xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. If it is IPv6 instead, then things are more difficult.

In your router (the thing you screenshotted earlier), click on the WAN tab to the right of "PON Inform". It will probably show you a public or WAN IP address. If this matches what you see on ipcamtalk's port checker tool, then it means you (probably) have your own IP address and can most likely forward ports.

I'm not familiar with your router's interface, but you might find port forwarding under Security, Port Binding, or Port Locating.

Reaction score
Thx, it wont show my ip on the information tab, but to be honest, i usually get 2 ips, one ipv4, and sometimes an ipv6, and in both the usual ports are blocked :( even tried some randoms and no luck

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok, does this helps? Thanks
Hi Jose,

What bp2008 is the correct first step. However, if you don't get a match between the port checker and the WAN port, you probably can't forward ports.

When I was planning my switch from a routine cablemodem ISP to a fiber optic ISP, one of the things I learned is that many of them (fiber network ISPs) don't give the users their own IP address. And I'm not talking static versus dynamic; my cable modem IP address changed every few months out of my control, but at any one moment it was MY address and I could port forward, until I learned to not do that and use a VPN instead.

Anyway, my fiber optic company (Metronet) uses "double NATting" which means for every external IPv4 address, many users are served. Things like port forwarding and the traditional router-based VPNs won't work. Presumably your fiber network uses similar technology and has a similar problem. In my case, the easiest / best solution was for me to fork over an extra $10/month which gets me my very own IPv4 address which happens to be static, and things like forwarding and router VPNs work fine. Perhaps this is an option you can consider with your provider.

If that isn't an option it gets much more complex quickly. I've seen folks on this forum talk about solutions with funny names that I can't remember right now, but I believe they involve having a computer on your LAN initiate a stable connection to a server somewhere on the internet (presumably a paid service) that gives you an IP address that will forward things to you via the connection your PC maintains with it.

Others who are more familiar with these things will probably have more useful information.

Reaction score
Hi Jose,

What bp2008 is the correct first step. However, if you don't get a match between the port checker and the WAN port, you probably can't forward ports.

When I was planning my switch from a routine cablemodem ISP to a fiber optic ISP, one of the things I learned is that many of them (fiber network ISPs) don't give the users their own IP address. And I'm not talking static versus dynamic; my cable modem IP address changed every few months out of my control, but at any one moment it was MY address and I could port forward, until I learned to not do that and use a VPN instead.

Anyway, my fiber optic company (Metronet) uses "double NATting" which means for every external IPv4 address, many users are served. Things like port forwarding and the traditional router-based VPNs won't work. Presumably your fiber network uses similar technology and has a similar problem. In my case, the easiest / best solution was for me to fork over an extra $10/month which gets me my very own IPv4 address which happens to be static, and things like forwarding and router VPNs work fine. Perhaps this is an option you can consider with your provider.

If that isn't an option it gets much more complex quickly. I've seen folks on this forum talk about solutions with funny names that I can't remember right now, but I believe they involve having a computer on your LAN initiate a stable connection to a server somewhere on the internet (presumably a paid service) that gives you an IP address that will forward things to you via the connection your PC maintains with it.

Others who are more familiar with these things will probably have more useful information.
Yeah its seems this provider is doing the same :(, and they dont give an option to pay more and provide an ip for me, so ill have to keep reading about another possible solution, thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I was in that situation with no ability to accept incoming traffic on my internet connection, I would rent a cheap linux cloud server (< $5/mo) somewhere and run OpenVPN server on it and run a VPN client at my home to make a secure tunnel to that server. Then I could connect my other devices to the same VPN server in order to access to Blue Iris. Or I could use nginx on the cloud server to proxy connections to Blue Iris so I wouldn't have to connect phones and whatnot to the VPN.

But all that is really complicated and not something most people could set up. Even I would have trouble getting the OpenVPN configuration right.

Simpler options:

ngrok - secure introspectable tunnels to localhost has a free service tier you could try. I don't like their pricing and limiting structure...

Alternatively you could subscribe to a VPN service that offers a static (dedicated) IP and port forwarding, such as "Ivacy": Get peace of mind for almost half a decade
There are a bunch of other VPN service providers available so you can take your pick, but it is important to get the static IP AND port forwarding features.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
If I was in that situation with no ability to accept incoming traffic on my internet connection, I would rent a cheap linux cloud server (< $5/mo) somewhere and run OpenVPN server on it and run a VPN client at my home to make a secure tunnel to that server. Then I could connect my other devices to the same VPN server in order to access to Blue Iris. Or I could use nginx on the cloud server to proxy connections to Blue Iris so I wouldn't have to connect phones and whatnot to the VPN.

But all that is really complicated and not something most people could set up. Even I would have trouble getting the OpenVPN configuration right.

Simpler options:

ngrok - secure introspectable tunnels to localhost has a free service tier you could try. I don't like their pricing and limiting structure...

Alternatively you could subscribe to a VPN service that offers a static (dedicated) IP and port forwarding, such as "Ivacy": Get peace of mind for almost half a decade
There are a bunch of other VPN service providers available so you can take your pick, but it is important to get the static IP AND port forwarding features.
Brilliant !

NGROK. That's the name I have been trying to figure out. Thank you.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
This is a great idea. But swap Wireguard for OpenVPN. Its much faster and simpler to get going.

I run my Unifi Controller in a Linode VM. It costs $7/month and that is with backup. Its amazing how cheap these VPS providers are nowadays.

Reaction score

Simpler options:

Thanks a lot! will check those, to be honest i had never tried any of those options, always had an static public ip and can forward ports, but now isnt an option with this fiber provider

Reaction score

Simpler options:

Working with the free version of ngrok, thank you very much, i must check if there is a paid version with a dedicated ip address, so no random aliases everytime it starts the server, will check ivacy

Thanks again