Blue Iris zone issue

yzpmpgq

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally got around to setting up the LPR and it works, but I have issues with the zones. My settings:
ScreenHunter_06 Nov. 07 16.34.jpg
ScreenHunter_07 Nov. 07 16.34.jpg

I have zone C covering the whole screen and zones A and B as follows:
ScreenHunter_03 Nov. 07 16.26.jpg
ScreenHunter_04 Nov. 07 16.27.jpg

Some examples:
Cam7.20221107_123020.773193.3-11.jpg
Worked perfect
Cam7.20221107_152256554.4.jpg
Never triggered...

The zone B mask doesn't continue across because vehicles triggered too quickly. The issue I have is with vehicles of different lengths, heights, etc. Is there a way to trigger when something enters zone B and LEAVES zone A? That would be perfect. I don't have the luxury to add an overview camera.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First thing is turn off the object exceeds 67% as a big @$$ bus could reset it and that could be why it didn't trigger.

You also have it set to only trigger when it goes from A to B - is that your intent?

I would move zone A up closer to the intersection and not have it reach all the way to the edge of bottom right corner to help account for longer vehicles.

I would move zone B up and further left. I would think a smaller vehicle or motorcycle riding the curb could miss that zone.

Consider changing algorithm to Edge during the day.

Since it appears they cannot whip around that bend at speed, consider a longer make time to try to catch the back end of the bigger vehicles.

I have also noticed that zoomed in that I was missing big busses as well when I ran a faster FPS. I am not sure what FPS you are running, but consider dropping it. That would also help with the bigger vehicles.

Are you getting night plates? You mention you don't have an overview, and LPR cannot serve as an overview unless you have a ton of light that you can run in color.

yzpmpgq

n3wb
Reaction score
First thing is turn off the object exceeds 67% as a big @$$ bus could reset it and that could be why it didn't trigger.
Done

You also have it set to only trigger when it goes from A to B - is that your intent?

Yes. I only want to capture rear tags. We are in a cul-de-sac, so I can capture all tags as they leave. Basically, we are in a gated community and own the whole end of the street. Besides the folks on our street, there should really be no traffic, but we have 10-30 vehicles a day coming down and swinging around. We wanted to start checking vehicles and tags to see if these were the same people or a lot of randoms (which we shouldn't have.)

I would move zone A up closer to the intersection and not have it reach all the way to the edge of bottom right corner to help account for longer vehicles.

Done

I would move zone B up and further left. I would think a smaller vehicle or motorcycle riding the curb could miss that zone.

Left? Wouldn't that mean a small vehicle would be to the right of the zone and miss it?

Consider changing algorithm to Edge during the day.

I had it on edge and after some research changed it to simple. I'll give it some time and change back to compare results.

Since it appears they cannot whip around that bend at speed, consider a longer make time to try to catch the back end of the bigger vehicles.

Will do

I have also noticed that zoomed in that I was missing big busses as well when I ran a faster FPS. I am not sure what FPS you are running, but consider dropping it. That would also help with the bigger vehicles.
It's at 25fps, but I can play with lower settings as well.

Are you getting night plates? You mention you don't have an overview, and LPR cannot serve as an overview unless you have a ton of light that you can run in color. Currently, I'm using a PTZ zoomed in to that area as a feasibility experiment before I buy an expensive LPR.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK I meant right for Zone B lol. Good catch.

25FPS is way too much - movies are recorded at 24FPS. Most here run 15 FPS.

Edge algorithm works good for day and bad for night.

PTZs are not usually good for LPR at night due to focus issues, so that might not be a good test for night time, but unless you are more than 175ish feet from this location, you will be able to get a camera to read plates day and night.

You do not need to buy an expensive LPR camera unless you want the camera to actually read and log the plate. Most of us simply set up a camera to read plates and manually do the reading or use a 3rd party to actually read and log the plates.

Most here use the 5241-Z12E due to the zoom capabilities and if you wait until Thanksgiving, our trusted vendor @EMPIRETECANDY will have it on sale for $229.99

Not sure how much you have read up on LPR, but keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1667864666561.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

yzpmpgq

n3wb
Reaction score
I will change the fps. That camera is certainly cheap enough to get and try. We prewired the house when we built it and there is not another LAN cable at that location, but if I can fish a wire into the attic, I could set up a POE switch to add more connections.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It won't work on POE NVR's I've seen that many times in the forums...because of wiring differences of some kind....

Last edited:

trapper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just went through the same process and with the help of this form I have great day and night captures. the most important thing I learned from reading a few post is when setting the LPR is to first set your zoom than focus than if the plate is blurry dial down your Gain in increments of 5 if its not blurry increase gain until its perfect. my night time gain is 0-60 and daytime is 0-40. all the other settings will help fine tune but the zoom focus gain will get you 95 percent of the way. below is my daytime capture notice the water droplets I am impressed with this camera

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually tried a splitter(not that one) and it didn't work. I'm ordering that one right now...
Many of the splitters do not allow two streams at the same time. The one I linked is used by MANY here, I have several of them in use.

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All you need is one of these LOL. Many of us use this just fine. Most are to set up this camera as LPR right next to an existing camera!

So I bought one of these to setup a camera next to my LPR camera and it only lasted 3 days. Amazon sent me a replacement and the second one lasted 5 days. When the second one went out it it fried the POE ethernet connections on both cameras so now the only way to power up the cameras is with a DC plug.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What in the world. I, and others, have been using that for years.

Although I see the link is now something different than what those of us have used here. Does yours look like that?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that is what mine looks like.

Do you know if you have CCA wiring? What POE switch do you have?

It could be a defect, but many of us have used these for years, so I would troubleshoot is it something on your end that couldn't keep up with the increased load (though wouldn't think it would be that much more).

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score