BlueIris licensing

klapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am setting up a home system with a prospective maximum of eight cameras. I decided to go with a computer instead of an NVR based system to keep my software options open.

My plan is to evaluate use of blue iris and ZoneMinder for starters - running blue iris in a Win7 VM on an ubuntu/mint v20 host.

My plans include running the entire system on a segregated network segment with no internet access.

Thus my first question would be:

Does blue iris actually REQUIRE internet access on anything less than a yearly basis? I would not be needing support or update access.

I would expect that the basic license does not "time out" or need some kind of renewal?

I would plan to buy the software license and only need to run a single instance for only eight cameras.

I already have most built except for buying blue iris and mounting the three cameras I have now.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris doesn't require internet access except for the initial activation. Then assuming nothing happens to cause the activation to be lost, you are fine.

This year a restriction was added to return the "evaluation" overlay if you install an update that came out after your support period expired. I'm not clear on the implementation details of this, but it is not likely to be an issue for you if you don't install any updates.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't even need it for activation. If it can't reach a server, it will give you a code to input on a website (which you can do on another machine) and a response code to input into the activation window.

klapa

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the info!

I have my computer built and the Win7 VM implemented, along with 3x cameras.

I've just to get the wiring in and start the blueiris evaluation.

Looking at the manual, BI seems like a bargain considering the functionality. ZoneMinder has the plus that the source code is available and thus would seem to be easier to add customization.