Boobie Cam v2 -> Looks Blurry?

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have been running the original version of the Boobie cam on the front of my house for almost 2 years now. Works great, very pleased but I needed to add a camera in the backyard so I thought I would upgrade to the Boobie Cam v2 (HDBW5441F-AS-E2) and repurpose the v1 cam. Both of these cams were purchased from Andy via his Amazon store.

I just received the V2 cam yesterday and today I got it up and running but I am a little concerned - it looks blurry to me and I tried a number of different tweaks, but the picture does nothing seems to help. Both cams have exactly the same settings as far as I can tell. I cloned the V1 cam and then edited for the new ip address for the v2 cam. These are from mainstreams recordings and the actual live picture closely resembles what was recorded

Both cams are 3.6mm lens and they are both running 1920 x 1080, CBR, 15 fps. The problem is with the #2 sensor

Thoughts (what am I missing?)

v1 2mp yesterday
T22-790.jpg

v2 4 mp today
T22-791.jpg

v1 2mp with a car yesterday
T22-795.jpg

v2 4mp with a car today
T22-784.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The new one is a 4MP, so why downgrade resolution - it rarely results in good quality.

What is the bitrate? The 4MP will probably need double.

And it may simply be out of focus and a razor and some elbow grease can adjust the lens.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The new one is a 4MP, so why downgrade resolution - it rarely results in good quality.

What is the bitrate? The 4MP will probably need double.

And it may simply be out of focus and a razor and some elbow grease can adjust the lens.
I started out with 2560x1440 with a 10,200 bit rate (the range goes up to 20,480 so I thought I would try half of that). Then I tried 2304x1296 and when things did not improve I went to what I was running on V1 1920x1080 at 8,192 which is what I was running on v1 at for comparison

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That is definitely just bad focus. You might be able to fix it by turning the lens but they typically put a dab of glue on the threads after it is factory focused so you need to get rid of that first. If you can't fix the focus entirely, then return it as defective.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That is definitely just bad focus. You might be able to fix it by turning the lens but they typically put a dab of glue on the threads after it is factory focused so you need to get rid of that first. If you can't fix the focus entirely, then return it as defective.
That is my thoughts also. I tried lightly turning the lens, but it wouldn't move. The #1 sensor seems to be working ok.

I attempted the 'replacing the lens' trick with a stronger lens on another older cam I had (nothing to lose) and it did not go well....

zeoclang

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went through the same thing a few weeks ago and returned the camera.
Did you place the lens cover back on? It does impact the focus.

eeeeesh

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I went through the same thing a few weeks ago and returned the camera.
Did you place the lens cover back on? It does impact the focus.
Yep - I thought of that and tried it both ways but did not see any discernible difference

slowhand23

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one doing the same thing, been playing with different settings over the last few months with no success.