Box Camera?...Why use one?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,
While reading up on all these different camera types, I find the box camera confusing...Why use it? It appears as big or bigger that a bullet cam but appears much more unprotected...so I assume these would be indoor only use?
Do they typically even have IRs? I don't see them on the ones I've looked at (on the Hik site).

Anyway, just curious why someone would choose a box over a bullet or other smaller form factor.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, the box is kind of an older design that predates modern bullets as we know them now. I have over a thousand cameras and only have 13 box cameras as they were inherited when we purchased a location with them. They will be replaced this year finally.

That said, there are places and use cases that make them perfect. Really hard use environments, super cold temps for example I can have the camera enclosure have high temp heaters and even a windshield wiper if needed for snow and ice or rain removal. Places where explosion or fire is an issue I can have an enclosure that will secure against sparks or other ignition sources. The biggest benefit is ease of changing lenses, I can buy one camera and use a variety of lenses to perfect the shot for my needs. True bullet proof housings are available for prisons and jails and or those truly bad neighborhoods lol.

That said I hate them and would never use them for my needs. That is just me, I noticed in the hospital I was in the other day all cameras were analog box cameras with no housings hanging from the ceilings. Made sense to them to use them I guess? Makes for easy adjustments as I could just reach up and twist them any direction I please as I walk down the hall lol.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Razer is spot on, Box cameras are useful if you need a special lens like 5-50mm or more and on a budget (since most bullets doesn't have that sort of lens).

most have IR filters inside so you just need to find a housing with IR. or use external IR.

in the analog days the box cameras were much less expensive than metal bullet cameras, so people on a budget and using them indoors also enjoyed them.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Milk!! What happened to my IP plate cam recommendation??

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, the box is kind of an older design that predates modern bullets as we know them now. I have over a thousand cameras and only have 13 box cameras as they were inherited when we purchased a location with them. They will be replaced this year finally.

That said, there are places and use cases that make them perfect. Really hard use environments, super cold temps for example I can have the camera enclosure have high temp heaters and even a windshield wiper if needed for snow and ice or rain removal. Places where explosion or fire is an issue I can have an enclosure that will secure against sparks or other ignition sources. The biggest benefit is ease of changing lenses, I can buy one camera and use a variety of lenses to perfect the shot for my needs. True bullet proof housings are available for prisons and jails and or those truly bad neighborhoods lol.

That said I hate them and would never use them for my needs. That is just me, I noticed in the hospital I was in the other day all cameras were analog box cameras with no housings hanging from the ceilings. Made sense to them to use them I guess? Makes for easy adjustments as I could just reach up and twist them any direction I please as I walk down the hall lol.

Our hospital is the same way, it's great

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My hospital is all domes inside with ptz's outside.