Bugs are off the charts this week...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recall growing up in Georgia holding a live "July Fly" (cicada) loosely in my hand when I was lucky enough to be able to snag one, they are so quick and seldom reachable.

I liked the buzzing of their huge wings in my palm and then open my hand palm up and watch them explode into the sky. Oftentimes they would chirp and sing in my loosely closed hand.

The ones we saw then were not so ominous looking with red eyes as so many recent news photos....they were somewhat drab and camouflaged. I perceived that they would generally fly after singing because they had revealed their location.

But the main thing we did with bugs then in those hot, humid GA summers was catch June Bugs, tie a thread to one of their back legs and fly 'em. The beautiful, iridescent green beetle was tethered to our hand and they'd go for quite some time.

At dusk we'd catch "lightning bugs", put them in a jar for a time but then let them go before too long. After the sun went down we'd go in because the skeeters, chiggers and the like would come out in force!

You had to wash your hands when you got in the house, they made your hand stink! :lmao:

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have read that the Cicada hatch this year is going to be one of the largest in a very long time because there are several types hatching.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
What the hell is that?!? :oops:

There are certain types of Cicada that only come out every X number of years. In Florida we have a type that is with us every year and they seem to be most prevalent after a good ol' fashioned thunderstorm. The sound can be deafening in certain areas such as the creek/woods/swamp behind my house.

1717949839359.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
There are certain types of Cicada that only come out every X number of years. In Florida we have a type that is with us every year and they seem to be most prevalent after a good ol' fashioned thunderstorm. The sound can be deafening in certain areas such as the creek/woods/swamp behind my house.

View attachment 196116
They certainly don’t like like the ones I’ve seen in Texas. :facepalm: