Bugs bugs bugs, an IR nightmare!

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's bug season again and my camera is almost in continual recording mode after dark. In the past I've just turned off the IR in the summer, but wanted to see if this new camera was any better, but it's not. I have hours of bugs flying around. Is there a good work around for this? What if I put up a separate IR light and turned off the camera light? I guess the camera would still see them.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
TTBOMK, a separate IR light is the only way.

I simply leave the IR off. The outside areas our cams cover are also thoroughly covered by motion-detecting floods, so there's little that escapes the cameras even on totally dark nights with no IR.
unfortunately we don't have any outside lighting anywhere so it's pretty much pitch dark most of the night. :(

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Is there a good work around for this?
Not sure of your region... Maybe put up a couple bat houses?

How many bugs do bats eat in a night?
One of the best ways to persuade people to protect bats is to explain how many insects bats can eat. Scientists have discovered that some small bats can catch up to 1,000 or more small insects in a single hour. A nursing mother bat eats the most – sometimes catching more than 4,000 insects in a night.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure of your region... Maybe put up a couple bat houses?

How many bugs do bats eat in a night?
One of the best ways to persuade people to protect bats is to explain how many insects bats can eat. Scientists have discovered that some small bats can catch up to 1,000 or more small insects in a single hour. A nursing mother bat eats the most – sometimes catching more than 4,000 insects in a night.
We have at least one bat, I've seen him the last couple of nights. The bug show every night looks like snow showers in a wind storm. 17 year Cicadas are due any day now, that should be good.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
You can use AI to record only humans if your camera can do that. Or if you use BI, you can use the new Deepstack feature to record only what you wish.

Else, an external IR in a nearby location is the only other way.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There's only so much bats can do. We have bats. Can stand out in the back yard during twilight and see 'em up there, wheeling and diving around.

Last summer I was out back practicing golf flop shots (that's where you hit the ball such that it goes high and short, so it doesn't roll much when it lands) in the backyard, with limited-flight balls, and a bat would head for the ball as it popped-up, then veer away

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Last summer I was out back practicing golf flop shots (that's where you hit the ball such that it goes high and short, so it doesn't roll much when it lands) in the backyard, with limited-flight balls, and a bat would head for the ball as it popped-up, then veer away
Growing up... a wrist rocket and small foam cat toys, send 'em straight up about 15-20 ft. Great backyard experiment with bat sonar

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use AI to record only humans if your camera can do that. Or if you use BI, you can use the new Deepstack feature to record only what you wish.

Else, an external IR in a nearby location is the only other way.
mine is supposed to only be triggering on humans and vehicles, but we do have more than our fair share of bugs.
I wonder how far away would be required for an alternate light source? Would 15 ft. away be enough to make a difference?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
What if I put up a separate IR light and turned off the camera light? I guess the camera would still see them.
I have separate IR on all of my outside cameras. Besides not attracting bugs to the camera, the reflections back at the camera are less intense when the light source isn't the same direction as the sensor.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
mine is supposed to only be triggering on humans and vehicles, but we do have more than our fair share of bugs.
I wonder how far away would be required for an alternate light source? Would 15 ft. away be enough to make a difference?
Depends on the IR illuminator. Some are ridiculously powerful while others are wimpy.

seez52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have separate IR on all of my outside cameras. Besides not attracting bugs to the camera, the reflections back at the camera are less intense when the light source isn't the same direction as the sensor.
I think I may try one, do you have a recommendation on one. I've looked at them on Amazon, but it's really hard to tell from the reviews if any of them are any good.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I do happen to have a recommendation;), the CMVision IR-40, with the Tendelux AI4 in second place. I tried a bunch of 4 watt illuminators and these are the only two 4-watt models that haven't failed over a few years. I did have to open up the AI4s to drain water out of them. I also have a univivi 6 watter that has worked well. I order direct from cmvision to avoid feeding the amazon beast.

4 watt IR illuminator comparison