Burglary Tourism?!?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
This so called video news article has so many (Do’s / Don’t) as it relates to security I don’t even know where to start.

I have no words how the same person could be caught doing the exact same crime. Yet not locked up, deported, have their hands and feet cut off???

Lastly, the couple and the so called high end home clearly didn’t spend anytime hiring and installing a professional hardwired security system!

Probably spent more per month on entertainment than real force protection and security. :facepalm:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
This was quite the rage in Toronto with gangs from Chile. The government would just deport them as it was easier than prosecuting them, jailing them and THEN deporting them. Same MO. High-end houses for jewelery, electronics, clothing, etc.

We have safes in all our rental rooms. Nothing spectacular but they are imbeded halfway into the brick walls with the lag bolts going sideways into the wall. Doors are always the weak points but at least they wouldn't be able to remove it from the wall.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Repeat offences all too common. In the UK shoplifting currently goes all but unpunished. Without threats, the Police usually won't attend. They walk in, staff challenge, they say you can't touch me, staff watch as they take as much as they like, they walk out. I've heard of burglaries where they won't even look at CCTV and I believe an article in a newspaper said in a missing person case, they wouldn't either and the family found more evidence on their own after the Police allegedly failed to view the CCTv or show any interest in doing so.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
That article is a perfect example of having different priorities as it relates to force protection and security.

It’s not about money because they have gobs of it. Came down to thinking that happens to someone else.

That can’t happen to me . . .

It happened once so I’m off the victim list!

No, statistically speaking repeat crimes are a thing. Why would I not go back to steal another 150” TV?!? All of those nice fancy shoes, clothes, jewelry, gold, silver, Rolex?!?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That article is a perfect example of having different priorities as it relates to force protection and security.

It’s not about money because they have gobs of it. Came down to thinking that happens to someone else.

No, statistically speaking repeat crimes are a thing. Why would I not go back to steal another 150” TV?!? All of those nice fancy shoes, clothes, jewelry, gold, silver, Rolex?!?
There's also this.."It must be safe.....it's a nice neighborhood, nice houses, not a bunch of run-down houses or rentals, etc."

I sound like a broken record, I know but I have to repeat....burglars don't waste their time in those "poor, run-down" neighborhoods, there's nothing much of value! They go to the "nice" neighborhoods where there's a lot of nice, good shit to steal! YOUR shit! My Point? Living in a "nice neighborhood" is no guarantee of a burglary-free or crime-free experience! :headbang:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
There's also this.."It must be safe.....it's a nice neighborhood, nice houses, not a bunch of run-down houses or rentals, etc."

I sound like a broken record, I know but I have to repeat....burglars don't waste their time in those "poor, run-down" neighborhoods, there's nothing much of value! They go to the "nice" neighborhoods where there's a lot of nice, good shit to steal! YOUR shit! My Point? Living in a "nice neighborhood" is no guarantee of a burglary-free or crime-free experience! :headbang:
Also, the vast majority of people in good neighborhoods are where from 9-5:00 PM?!?

At work, school, other . . .

Makes perfect sense to break into a house completely void of anyone! Depending upon the region even if you have a monitored alarm system.

The police response and priority is at the bottom. :facepalm:

As I have said countless times (Force Protection) is one of the most important things to give you, police, family: Time

Having man’s best friend (dog) who is trained is also part of the force protection. It’s very rare to see a home actually enter / breached when a large dog is present.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score

Paris Hilton thought she was off the victim list the first time her house was burglarized by The Bling Ring (great documentary, btw).

"For their first celebrity target, Prugo claims that he and Lee asked themselves, "Who would leave a door unlocked? Who would leave a lot of money lying around?" and chose Paris Hilton because they figured she was "dumb.""

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Paris Hilton thought she was off the victim list the first time her house was burglarized by The Bling Ring (great documentary, btw).

"For their first celebrity target, Prugo claims that he and Lee asked themselves, "Who would leave a door unlocked? Who would leave a lot of money lying around?" and chose Paris Hilton because they figured she was "dumb.""

I have no words . . . :facepalm: :lmao:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Having man’s best friend (dog) who is trained is also part of the force protection. It’s very rare to see a home actually enter / breached when a large dog is present.
Currently our combo perimeter/entry alarm is the "K-9 System 5", specifically the 4 Chihuahua+1 Yorkie model. :cool:

Perimeter Mode: You get within 50 feet of any door or window, the K-9 alarm goes off; it detects humans, deer, squirrels and any warm-blooded creature and sometimes the wind. The Yorkie audible is the most sensitive and there are no sensitivity of delay options on any of the 5 sensors.

Entry Mode: No delay on entry, if you are recognized as on the whitelist, the audible alarm terminates after a non-programmable time; if you are NOT on the whitelist you are in danger (at best) of a loud, audible barkfest that can disorient a potential burglar OR (at worst) result in multiple and relentless ankle-bites and pant leg grabbing. The combination of audible and mechanical deterrents from the full-force of the "K-9 System 5" has been effectively maintained since 2009. It has been dependable but not very economical.....premium food, veterinary care, annual vaccinations, grooming...is staggering. Frequent household maintenance is also time-consuming.

Night mode: actually there is no night mode, perimeter mode or entry mode, I made them all up. The truth is these 5 ankle-biters are locked and load 24/7/365 and there is no disarm switch....but we love 'em! :lmao:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Currently our combo perimeter/entry alarm is the "K-9 System 5", specifically the 4 Chihuahua+1 Yorkie model. :cool:

Perimeter Mode: You get within 50 feet of any door or window, the K-9 alarm goes off; it detects humans, deer, squirrels and any warm-blooded creature and sometimes the wind. The Yorkie audible is the most sensitive and there are no sensitivity of delay options on any of the 5 sensors.

Entry Mode: No delay on entry, if you are recognized as on the whitelist, the audible alarm terminates after a non-programmable time; if you are NOT on the whitelist you are in danger (at best) of a loud, audible barkfest that can disorient a potential burglar OR (at worst) result in multiple and relentless ankle-bites and pant leg grabbing. The combination of audible and mechanical deterrents from the full-force of the "K-9 System 5" has been effectively maintained since 2009. It has been dependable but not very economical.....premium food, veterinary care, annual vaccinations, grooming...is staggering. Frequent household maintenance is also time-consuming.

Night mode: actually there is no night mode, perimeter mode or entry mode, I made them all up. The truth is these 5 ankle-biters are locked and load 24/7/365 and there is no disarm switch....but we love 'em! :lmao:
One of the best replies in 2024! :love:

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I've got a similar system. I'm having trouble with one of the models. I can't turn off squirrel detection and alarm. Do you have any tips?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes. peanut butter delays the audible alarm for a bit.....
Yup, awesome video of how to silence that alarm! First time I gave my dog peanut butter I couldn’t stop laughing because he just kept licking over and over. :lmao:

Felt So bad after doing that I had to get him some ice cold water and his squishy toy! :headbang: