Buy straight from Ubiquiti Store...F* Amazon

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This is a first. I needed a VLAN aware AP so I researched a while, and decided on a Ubiquiti WiFi 6 Long Range AP "U6-LR-US". I hopped on Amazon US and purchased one.

One of the reviewers, I recall, balked at the price stating it was $179 USD MSRP. I figured he must have the model confused, and I moved on to the next review.

FF a few hours, and I decide to check out some further details, and hit a link to the Ubiquiti Store. I created an account so I could log in to see the pricing, and F* me.

You ready for this BS? $196.16 CDN LESS than the "Amazon's Choice" seller (out the door, delivered to Canada). I hit "cancel order" for the first time in memory, and went back to review the Ubiquiti store info 30 times .. yup, same damned model.

So ~$200 saved, and it'll be here next week. I'm elated, and pissed all at the same time. Pretty sad when a vendor feels he needs to cash in on the chip shortage fear mongering. I get it..it's a thing, but when the manufacturer has plenty in stock, with 8/person limits up from 2, then there is no reason for price gouging with a nearly 100% mark-up. If he had a brick and mortar Ubiquiti would have yanked his ticket, you'd hope.

NightLife

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I figure these scalpers are buying from the store like I finally did, but using an array of BS accounts so they can max out quantities. Then they simply bide their time until the store shows out of stock, and then off to Amazon they go, dollar signs in their eyes. I'm not sure why this disturbs me .. it must be the first time I've run up against this crap, because this sh!t must be going on all the time now.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, when It seems when you search for a specific product on Amazon, you often get Amazon's Choice, which is usually an item with a higher margin for the maker/seller and NOT really what your looking for.
Also I've noticed a search for a general term like, IP over coax adapter, you can still get Amazons choice and other focus shifting products leading up the list of search results.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I figure these scalpers are buying from the store like I finally did, but using an array of BS accounts so they can max out quantities. Then they simply bide their time until the store shows out of stock, and then off to Amazon they go, dollar signs in their eyes. I'm not sure why this disturbs me .. it must be the first time I've run up against this crap, because this sh!t must be going on all the time now.
Unfortunately it is classic human behavior that has been happening since the invention of trade. I like to think that the rampant scalping we see on amazon/ebay/etc is only consuming a small percentage of the available product supply, but really, it could be double digit percentages and how would we even know? It is like how you'd read about cryptocurrency miners with literally thousands of highly-sought graphics cards in warehouses mining cryptocurrency when people can't afford to build a gaming PC because of the shortage. You know they must have a source that will sell them bulk product despite worldwide shortages, and if crypto miners can get a supply of these, then rich scalpers can too.