Cable question

vyolette

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to wire up outside & inside cameras just on the outside of the house. What cable would be best for that? There shouldn't be a lot of sun on the cable because we have big trees overhead and get a lot of shade. The wiring will be through the house and in the attic and possibly a small portion running along the side of the house. I'm going to have under 10 cameras hooked up to a dahua nvr 4k. What would be the best cable without going overboard on price, for my neesd? I plan to buy a 1000 ft roll and so far I have read it needs to be pure copper, 22-24 awg, and everyone seems to like monoprice to get it from.

Thanks!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
@vyolette you basically answered your own questions above.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=877

I would advise everything be placed in the walls and or attic and not exposed outside. Not from a "sunlight" factor that a lot of people here discuss but from a "secure" factor. If the cable is in direct sunlight than the cable could be cut by someone as well. If you need to place cable outside finished space just assure you use conduit.

Last edited by a moderator:

vyolette

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks zero-degrees, that's what I needed to hear! I'm going to buy that now and get it here. :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exposed cables aren't a great idea. You can use some EMT conduit if you want. If you do have cables exposed, make sure you paint them, it will protect them from the sun.