Cable Question

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My head is spinning from reading about the different types of cables.

I'm looking at a 500ft purchase of these...
http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10233&cs_id=1023303&p_id=13679&seq=1&format=2

Is this a decent cable? I know its monoprice so its good quality but i don't know wtf the difference is between UTP solid, stranded, STP or Plenum. I just want decent 5e cable for connecting my cameras to my switch and PC.

Any thoughts or other suggestions are welcome.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
UTP solid Cat 5e is your workhorse for indoor runs or outdoors in conduit as long as it is above ground. Stranded is for patch cords.

SP2150

n3wb
Reaction score
Newb with a cable question. As of now my comcast cable is exposed on the outside of my house and I plan to run it in the attic along with cat6 . My attic is very low pitch and I think I need to run all my cables down the centerline or peak of my attic then drill down when I reach the other end. As long as I stay away from any fluorescent lighting is there any concern with interferance? I plan on getting monoprice solid 500Mhz 23 AWG UTP.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Someone posted on another thread within the last two weeks about this. As long as you stay about 2' from the lighting fixtures you should be good but also try to keep them away from power lines as well.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I hope you are doing well. I am in the process of starting a project to run cable (electric and CAT) from my home to the front door, which is about 350 ft.

I do not know much about the specifics of the possible cable interference issues, and the last post seemed relevant to me.

Should CAT wire be installed in a separate conduit to electric wire? Any other best practices?

Thank you,
Oxonian

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Separate conduit a few feet away. 350' is farther than ethernet cable is rated for (100m) though. It'll sometimes work quite a bit further than that but no guarantees. Expect a small chance that you'll need an active repeater (like a switch) somewhere in the middle. Also, if the 350' includes outdoor or underground portions then use burial grade cable.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use ubiquiti cable.used them on 4 cams so far no problem.the last cam installed(dahua) is on a post .ubiquiti cable is inside conduit.conduit plus driveway lights power are about 2-3 inches away from each other and run down the post together for about 5 feet.i haven't seen any weird problems yet lol.

Ubiquiti Networks TOUGHCable PRO TC-PRO Outdoor Shielded Ethernet Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L143VW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ZEY0xbKNT8WE4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Thank you for your reply. I hope you are doing well.

Does anyone have recommendations for a brand & vendor for the CAT 6 Burial cable?

I see that one brand, ubiquiti has been proposed on this thread. Are there any other recommendations?

Thank you!
Oxonian

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard good things about Ubiquiti but I've never used it. I've been using Shireen Cat5e cable and -- IMO -- it is simply OUTSTANDING cable.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello friends,

Thank you for your reply. I hope you are doing well.

Does anyone have recommendations for a brand & vendor for the CAT 6 Burial cable?

I see that one brand, ubiquiti has been proposed on this thread. Are there any other recommendations?

Thank you!
Oxonian
There was a thread not too long ago talking about a similar project and using MonoPrice gel filled Cat6 direct burial. I just looked and it's on back order tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've had my share and worked with a few CAT5E cable the best and easy cable to work with in my personal opinion is Nelly's 1000ft UTP solid Cat5e, I've ran many Monoprice cat5e cable and a few amazon cable, Nelly's Pure Cooper Cable is hands down the most rugged and Easy to work with and by far has the thickest jacket. I now found my new cable