Cable question

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The runs for the cameras will be in a warehouse where during business hours, the large doors will be open.

The cables will not be in direct contact with rain or sunlight but will be exposed to humidity, heat, and cold...

Do you feel we'll need any special-rated cable for this environment? Our thought are no — it's not much different then having run in an attic.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The runs for the cameras will be in a warehouse where during business hours, the large doors will be open.

The cables will not be in direct contact with rain or sunlight but will be exposed to humidity, heat, and cold...

Do you feel we'll need any special-rated cable for this environment? Our thought are no — it's not much different then having run in an attic.
I would agree that based on what you stated no special jacket needs for moisture or UV, just be CMR (riser-rated) but.....
  • Will the cable be supported well and not have long, unsupported spans that would put excessive mechanical stress on it?
  • Will the cable be running close to HID (metal halide for example) high-bay lighting fixtures and/or parallel to line voltage conductors?
  • Just be aware that mounted high in the ceiling of a structure in TX there could be the possibility of ESD (static) from nearby lightning. I would consider shielded CAT-5e/6 with surge suppression at both ends.