cable runs

skjom

Getting the hang of it
Jul 3, 2015
Hi ,

I was wondering how to tidy this up and make it useful for camera cables.

When doing the driveway they left these pipes for cable runs. The longer pipe with the yellow cap run back to the house and the other pipe runs across lengthways. So to mount a doorbell camera , the cable would pop up at the pipe with the yellow cap and id need to run it back into the other pipe.

As I said wondering how to make this neat and tidy so I have an outlet for the cable runs and not two joint red pipes sticking out from the tarmac.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1000006572.jpg
    1000006572.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 66
I'd make my own "pedestal" by placing a piece of 6" diameter ABS pipe over it and cap it with a 6" cap.

Pull in cable(s), make your splice as you wish, fully waterproofed and tested, then plug the red conduit ends with G&B Duct Seal which is easily removed.
Cover with the above piece of ABS pipe and cover. If it leans, secure with plumber's tap or a pipe strap. Paint to match the house.

ABS6_pipe-r.jpg ABS6_cap-r.jpg

Last edited:
You can also look for a “pedestal“ To shroud the pipes. Not sure if a fencing place has the square PVC pipe with a large enough diameter, but they go to at least 4” in the box stores. So a 6-8” diameter shouldnot be too hard To find.

“Corners” might be more aesthetically pleasing based on the surroundings pictured.

There is a way to “square PVC pipe with heat, but the cap might be a problem.

and well pump covers…

Last edited:
You can also look for a “pedestal“ To shroud the pipes. Not sure if a fencing place has the square PVC pipe with a large enough diameter, but they go to at least 4” in the box stores. So a 6-8” diameter shouldnot be too hard To find.

“Corners” might be more aesthetically pleasing based on the surroundings pictured.

There is a way to “square PVC pipe with heat, but the cap might be a problem.

and well pump covers…

I think the 5" square PVC fence posts would look even better and they have a nice square cap for it BUT..... the only reason I didn't mention it in post #2 is that I could only find them in 8 ft. lengths for like $40 apiece for the fence posts. I figured that was too expensive for just one; the round ABS piece I linked is my post #2 is only $9.

Now if one was doing TWO or more and 5" was big enough then you could cut and make 2 to 4 depending on how high you needed the pedestals to be and that would lower the per pedestal price and be much more appealing cost-wise. :cool:

Last edited:
Just cut the pipes to below grade then you won't see anything sticking up. If you want easy access once cut below grade then install an irrigation valve box with the lid an inch or two below grade then throw mulch over the top of it. It'll be tidy and unseen.

EDIT: I initially looked at your pic from my mobile phone. Now that I look at it on a large computer screen it looks like it might be packed in asphalt and if so then so much for an easy dig down to put in an irrigation valve box. Sorry if I misunderstood the first time. But if it's in dirt/mulch it could like like the before/after.

BEFORE:

1720536464533.png

AFTER:

1720536491017.png

Last edited:
Just cut the pipes to below grade then you won't see anything sticking up. If you want easy access once cut below grade then install an irrigation valve box with the lid an inch or two below grade then throw mulch over the top of it. It'll be tidy and unseen.

EDIT: I initially looked at your pic from my mobile phone. Now that I look at it on a large computer screen it looks like it might be packed in asphalt and if so then so much for an easy dig down to put in an irrigation valve box. Sorry if I misunderstood the first time. But if it's in dirt/mulch it could like like the before/after.

BEFORE:

View attachment 198091

AFTER:

View attachment 198092

Ya it's asphalt, what we call tarmac and what I think ye yanks refer to as blacktop.

It took me a bloody long time when reading American books to figure out blacktop was asphalt !

I think the 5" square PVC fence posts would look even better and they have a nice square cap for it BUT..... the only reason I didn't mention it in post #2 is that I could only find them in 8 ft. lengths for like $40 apiece for the fence posts. I figured that was too expensive for just one; the round ABS piece I linked is my post #2 is only $9.

Now if one was doing TWO or more and 5" was big enough then you could cut and make 2 to 4 depending on how high you needed the pedestals to be and that would lower the per pedestal price and be much more appealing cost-wise. :cool:

To tidy up cable runs, use cable sleeves or conduit for protection, install junction boxes at pipe ends for neat entry points, and secure cables with clips. If possible, bury pipes beneath the tarmac for a cleaner look. I always read reviews before choosing a service, and the feedback on Reviews on CanadianWritings.com | Why Students Choose Us? was overwhelmingly positive. Students praised the quality of the work, timely delivery, and helpful customer service. After using the service myself, I can confirm that these reviews are accurate. The entire experience was smooth, and the final paper exceeded my expectations.
Thanks for the advice, you made my day.

Edit: It helps me a lot, I came back here to say thank you once again for helping me out.

Last edited:
Reactions: looney2ns and TonyR