Cables needed for WD Purple Drive?

Reaction score
I just purchased an Optiplex 3050 SFF (i7-7700) with a 128GB SSD from the Dell Outlet store. I have a WD Purple 4TB drive on the way also, is there anything else I will need to install it?

The optiplex has an optical drive I could remove but not sure if I can repurpose those connections for the hard drive or if I'll need something else?

Thanks!

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you sure there's room for a desktop hard drive and an SSD in a SFF chassis? The optical drive could be a slim laptop style drive so while its connections would work, you wouldn't be able to physically mount the hard drive.

CamK76

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks as though the SFF case has one 3.5" bay and one bay for the slimline drive. Odds are that the 3.5 has a 3.5 to 2 x 2.5 bracket in it that holds the SSD. Being as the SSD has no mechanical parts you may be able to shift it elsewhere in the case and use the 3.5 bay for the WD drive. Then you'd just need an extra SATA cable and power via either a SATA power connector or if there is a molex plug use a molex to SATA adapter cable.

Reaction score
Yeah, from my research on here a few people have been velcroing the SSD to the bottom of the case so I think I can make them fit, just not sure about a bracket for the WD Purple or cables.

Reaction score
Looks as though the SFF case has one 3.5" bay and one bay for the slimline drive. Odds are that the 3.5 has a 3.5 to 2 x 2.5 bracket in it that holds the SSD. Being as the SSD has no mechanical parts you may be able to shift it elsewhere in the case and use the 3.5 bay for the WD drive. Then you'd just need an extra SATA cable and power via either a SATA power connector or if there is a molex plug use a molex to SATA adapter cable.
Thanks. I might pick up a few of those cables just incase and see what it has when it gets here.

arlobillz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
I'm in a similar situation having purchased a
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF - Core i5 4570 3.2 GHz and a WD 4tb Purple on the way
I dont think theres a space problem with fitting the drive, just need some advice with cable and how to connect the drive.
Also the comp is refurbished with win10 pro installed, nothing else.
Is there anything else I need to install barring the blue iris software to get this up and running for 3/4 cameras

Thanks

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We use the Dell SFF cases here at work, not the same model number but a quick google search and they look identical to what we use.

It will have a connection on the MB for the WD drive and should have power cables there. If your case comes with the slim DVD installed then just disconnect and you will have the cables needed.

And you most likely will have to Velcro the SSD to the case so the drive can mount.

EDIT:

Found in the users manual.

Storage specifications Feature Specifcation:

Hard drive one 3.5-inch hard drive or two 2.5-inch drive
Solid State Drive One 2.5-inch and/or one m.2 PCIe SSD
Optical drive one slim drive

Last edited:

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just purchased an Optiplex 3050 SFF (i7-7700) with a 128GB SSD from the Dell Outlet store. I have a WD Purple 4TB drive on the way also, is there anything else I will need to install it?

The optiplex has an optical drive I could remove but not sure if I can repurpose those connections for the hard drive or if I'll need something else?

Thanks!
@MichaelWeston ,
I am also looking into a DELL SFF Case and came across this device.
Cheap enough on eBay/Ali SATA 2nd HDD HD Hard Drive Caddy Case for 9.5mm Laptop CD / DVD-ROM Optical Bay | eBay
I gives you the advantage of installing an SSD in place of the Optical Drive (utilizing the Optical drive cables) :headbang:

Set that drive as the boot drive, then add the WD Purple as the secondary.
Hope this helps..

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score