Camera and NVR Selection

Reaction score
I could use some help selecting some decent Hikvision cameras for a new house.

The front door area is elevated from the walkway and somewhat narrow, so I'm not sure what kind of camera and lens size is the best to see who is walking up the path / in the driveway. You can see the Ethernet run at the top right above the door. I am guessing a dome camera will be easiest to mount. I'm not sure if 2.8mm or 4mm lens would be better.

The back door camera has an Ethernet run near the floodlights in the picture. I'm not sure if it would be best to focus on the door or to cover the entire back of the house as best I could with one camera. I guess 2.8mm is the best for back here? I'm not sure how to mount the camera, as the Ethernet run goes to the right of the floodlight, which means it might block the view from a dome camera.

The area is low crime, nice houses, and the house itself doesn't really have much of anything worth stealing. The cameras are mostly to keep an eye on the house and my parent after I move out of state.

For the interior I was looking at the 2CD2420F-IW or 2CD2432F-IW using PoE.

I'm not sure what to do about a NVR. Viewing will be all remote, mostly the browser, occasionally the phone. Emailed alerts to motion outside would be useful. Motion alert footage automatically uploaded to Dropbox would be nice, but not really necessary. Reliability is the main factor, as once I move I won't be onsite more than a few times a year to do any maintenance. One option that came up was the 7608NI-E2/8P.

Also unsure as to where to purchase the cameras from. I don't want to overpay, but reliability is the important factor. Located in the Southeast US.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Front door... problem is 2.8mm you will video a lot of wall... 4mm you will video some wall... 6mm you won't see much wall but it will be zoomed in a lot. Personally would get 6mm but then you won't see someone actually kicking the door down. No probs... fit an indoor camera for that!

Back door, get 4mm DS-2CD2332-i and focus mainly on the door. If you need to cover the garden then get another camera.

Get the 2CD432F-i (not the W) if you are using PoE and save a little money.

Get the DS-7608NI-E2/8P and think about installing 2 HDDs, even if it's just for reliability if one goes down.

Not sure where you are located, so can't help with camera purchase. All Hikvision will be as reliable as any other Hikvision.

Like you said... low crime, so it's mainly a deterrent.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there any reason not to use 2.8mm at the back?
Yes, IMO it's too zoomed out. It's always a compromise between quality and field of vision. I think 4mm means you'll be able to take good screen captures of faces vs 2.8mm which means you'll be able to capture more of the garden... which I'm guessing is less important.