Camera compatibility with old Dahua NVR

techguy802

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a pretty old Dahua/ADT 4416 NVR with 4 unused camera inputs. I know this system is probably considered ancient and there's much better tech out by now, but I was hoping to add 4 cameras to it to at least have coverage in areas that I currently don't have anything. The current cameras are labeled IPC-HDBW4120E-ADT28. Does anyone know what cameras would be compatible with this? I haven't found this specific model camera but came across some used HDBW4220E-ADT36 and wasn't sure if those would work? Thank you!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 4120E's are 1.3MP, 1280 x 960; the 4220E's are 2MP, 1920 x 1080.
Not knowing the bandwidth of the older NVR you might be able to add a 4220 one at a time to see if it can handle it.
If it works and you like the higher resolution you can likely have 3 of the 4220's in place of 4 of the 4120's so you have to lose 1 lower res camera in that schema.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@techguy802, I went to reply to your previous post where you stated the NVR is a NVR4416-16P-ADT-8 and the post was gone. :idk:

Anyway, best I can tell it is 200Mbps incoming bandwidth and you should be able to connect those cams with no issues as stated previously by @steve1225 . :cool:

techguy802

n3wb
Reaction score
@techguy802, I went to reply to your previous post where you stated the NVR is a NVR4416-16P-ADT-8 and the post was gone. :idk:

Anyway, best I can tell it is 200Mbps incoming bandwidth and you should be able to connect those cams with no issues as stated previously by @steve1225 . :cool:
I posted the model number and shortly after edited the post with a link to a used one on a security site that has the specs listed. Looks like that link triggered a "moderator approval" that hid the post. Whoops. That site has it listed as 256Mbps bandwidth so it sounds like we're good? If I run new cat5e or cat6 cable for these additional cameras that should be sufficient to run current tech if I ever upgrade this system?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That site has it listed as 256Mbps bandwidth so it sounds like we're good?
Yes, you're good to go.
If I run new cat5e or cat6 cable for these additional cameras that should be sufficient to run current tech if I ever upgrade this system?
Yessir, CAT6 of 23AWG even better if any distances for POE over 125 ft.
Insure solid copper (no CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) with jacket rated for the application; CMR (Riser) for in-wall, between floors, in crawl spaces, attic.

techguy802

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you're good to go.

Yessir, CAT6 of 23AWG even better if any distances for POE over 125 ft.
Insure solid copper (no CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) with jacket rated for the application; CMR (Riser) for in-wall, between floors, in crawl spaces, attic.
Awesome! Looks like the previous owners left me some of the cat6 23awg. No idea how much is left on the spool but it'll get me started. Last question! Since I have a 200' run to get where I want the remaining cameras, can I buy a poe switch and just do the one run of cable to that, with the smaller branches off it? The newer systems I was looking at were set up like that. I wasn't sure if my old Dahua could handle it, or if it's basic networking and doesn't make any difference.

Attachments