Camera Freezes Periodically

_MR

n3wb
Reaction score
I've had Blue Iris running for some months without any issue. Today I set the motion triggers more sensitive and immediately 1 of the 7 cameras started freezing every 5-10 seconds for about 3 seconds.

The freezes are both in live view and recording playback and I've found them to be synchronous with the task manager showing GPU video decoding for Blue Iris.

I have spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out the issue and here are some of the things I've tried and didn't help:

Disabling motion triggers on all cameras.
Using each one of the available hardware decoding options including do not use unless necessary and disabling it completely.
Restarting the entire computer a few times.
Updating Blue Iris to both older and newer versions.
Restarting cameras after settings changes.
Changing the video stream bitrate to almost nothing (128 Kbps) instead of 6Mbps as it's always been.
Changing recording mode to re-encode with a few different settings instead of writing directly to disk.

It's recording to a gen 4 NVMe always leaving a couple hundred GB free so storage speed is not an issue. All cameras are set to continuous recording. All audio is disabled.

No drivers have changed in months since auto update is disabled.

System is Windows 10 with 32 GB of RAM, i5 7600 at about 10% load most of the time, and RTX T1000 8GB which is idle since no AI is running. Cameras are 2 HD and 3 4k ACTi, and 2 4k Amcrest with the offender being a 4k ACTi.

Anything else I could try? If it wasn't that the freezes started within the same seconds that I changed the motion trigger sensitivity, I would just figure the camera is going bad.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does it freeze also when live viewing in the camera's webgui?

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Open Edge, in the settings search for 'Internet Explorer mode (IE mode) button', enable that, open the camera url, click the IE mode button, and see if you're able to make it work with the IE mode.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure you are recording "direct to disk" on that camera? There really shouldn't be any GPU usage related to cameras if aren't using AI.

_MR

n3wb
Reaction score
Open Edge, in the settings search for 'Internet Explorer mode (IE mode) button', enable that, open the camera url, click the IE mode button, and see if you're able to make it work with the IE mode.
Then it's completely smooth.

Webfont

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Then it's completely smooth.
That would indicate the camera is fine and that it's a BI issue.

Have you maybe tried deleting the cam from BI and re-adding it? (might lose all your clips/triggers doing so?)
Also check the HA status of your cams, is the misbehaving cam using a different acceleration than the others?
1704400491391.png

Reactions: _MR

_MR

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes removing and re-adding the camera didn't help. Also I checked the HA status and it shows exactly as the camera settings are set; I usually have it set to Intel as there's slightly lower CPU usage (~10%) than when it's set to Nvidia (~13%) which is already lower than when I have it disabled (~18%). But I had tried all the available settings, having them the same on each camera each time, and a difference there was none.

What I find odd is that I distinctly remember the cameras' receive buffer set to 10 MB and today Blue Iris had changed them all to 6 MB except the offending camera to 40 MB.

Also for a while today there were no freezes and it was completely smooth in BI as well but now the problem is back.

_MR

n3wb
Reaction score
I got the problem fixed!

I had tried disabling webcast and disabling recording and it didn't make any difference. What helped was setting the camera make from Generic/ONVIF to Amcrest, leaving all the other settings like ports and stream profiles exactly the same; and the freezes are gone. The other 4 ACTi cameras often had short freezes for like half a second but they were still usable; I switched them all from Generic/ONVIF to Amcrest and now they're all completely smooth like the 2 Amcrest cameras are. That's a weird bug but maybe someone would know why that is.

Attachments