Camera Installed Above Light

Hack3r814

n3wb
Reaction score
I had several cameras installed and unfortunately (due to roof dynamics) one of them ended up right above a light source (wall sconce with upward and downward lights). This is interfering with the camera.

I am using a HikVision ColorVu Turret camera. Is there anything that is made to attach to the camera to block out the light source from hitting the camera lens from below? I attached a picture of what happens at nighttime.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it your light fixture? If so, either eliminate the the up-pointing lamp or if it's just one lamp, install a sheet metal shield inside the fixture to block or reduce the upward glare. I think that would be easier and less obtrusive than trying to install something below the cam itself.

Hack3r814

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it your light fixture? If so, either eliminate the the up-pointing lamp or if it's just one lamp, install a sheet metal shield inside the fixture to block or reduce the upward glare. I think that would be easier and less obtrusive than trying to install something below the cam itself.
Thanks, and not a bad idea. The problem is it's a decorative fixture that matches 5 other fixtures on the front facade of the house, so blocking the one upward light there would make it look strange. My goal is just to prevent the light from directly entering the lens.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, and not a bad idea. The problem is it's a decorative fixture that matches 5 other fixtures on the front facade of the house, so blocking the one upward light there would make it look strange. My goal is just to prevent the light from directly entering the lens.
I understand your goal but it will only be noticeable at night and IMO the camera is there for a reason and if it's not functioning to the best of its ability due to excessive glare that is easily remedied, you might as well remove it. Just my 2 cents.

The shield could be placed inside the fixture and since there's 5, you could block another one on the other side of center to give it symmetry! :idk: