Camera keeps switching from IPv4 to IPv6

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dahua IPC-HFW2100 camera which has been working fine for two years, but it recently stopped working without me having changed any hardware or IP configuration.

I attempted to log on the camera's admin web interface through Dahua's ConfigTool using the IPV4 ip address, and got an "IP Address Modification" window saying "Note: Current device IP and PC IP may not be in the same network segment or the port setting is incorrect. Please reset and try again".

I was only able to log on the admin web interface using the MAC address. In the admin interface I went to Network > TCP/IP and noticed the IP Version defaulted to IPv6. Every time I switch it to IPv4 and hit Save, it goes back to IPv6.

Any of you have any idea how I could make it default it to IPv4, so I can use the camera again? I should note that I have reset the camera using the built-in button.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is your router giving out IPv6 allocations? try disabling it there first.

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
is your router giving out IPv6 allocations? try disabling it there first.
I went into the cable modem (ubee) admin and didn't see anywhere to set it to IPv6, so I am not sure if it allocates it automatically.

To avoid anything in between the camera and router to mess things up, I did try to connect directly to the camera with my laptop, but it would still automatically switch the camera to IPv6.

I made a diagram (click the image below to increase the size) showing my connection setup. Fig. 1 shows how it was set up when it worked and fig. 2 shows how I connected directly from my laptop. I'm not sure if this helps troubleshoot the issue?

Dahua_Camera_Setup.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try resetting it to default through the WebUI, ive seen some settings seem stuck because a bad config.

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll try that, but wouldn't it have reset the camera settings when I pushed the camera's built-in button located by the lens? As far as I know it's a reset button and should reset all settings?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
simply pressing that button wont nessicary reset it, that would make it too easy to accidently hit or some stranger to reset your camera.. there is a procedure that has to be followed, usually holding the button down for X seconds after restoring power.

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
I went into the webUI to System > Default and clicked "Default". Confirmed that I was sure and checked the TCP/IP settings. It is still defaulting to IPv6. Everytime I change it to IPv4 and click "Save", then go into another section and back to the TCP/IP section to see what protocol it is using, it has switched back to IPv6 (see screenshots).

Dahua_Camera_Setup_IPv4.jpgDahua_Camera_Setup_IPv6.jpg

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't know if it helps, but I also took a screenshot of the ConfigTool error I get, if I try to log on to the camera through IPv4.
Dahua_Camera_Setup_ConfigTool.jpg

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
I contacted Dahua and they wouldn't offer support since I bought the camera off Amazon. Does anyone have firmware for the NTSC version of this camera (IPC-HFW2100), as I don't really know what else to try?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My money is your router is advertising IPv6 availability and your camera is simply honoring it.. go see if you pass this test: http://test-ipv6.com/

Why cant you use the camera on IPv6? It should work just the same.

Dahua_user

n3wb
Reaction score
Your suggestion made me realize that you are probably on the right track so I thought more about it.

The issue started when I added the AC1200 router above, so I figured that maybe I was confusing the Ethernet power line since I was running two networks on it and the IPv4 address was changed to an IPv6 because of it.

Nevertheless, I relocated the ac1200 router so it wouldn't use the power line and took down the camera from my house and connected it directly to the uber router, which made the camera switch to IPv4 again. Once I had done this everything worked so I reinstalled the camera on the house.

I am still not sure exactly what caused the IPv6 switching, but hopefully it'll keep working. Thank you for your thoughts!