Camera location question.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been holding off on the location of this one area in hopes to get some input from everyone.

So my problem is the sidewalk as seen in the picture, I have an area on my side of the fence that I want to install a camera as seen in the other picture, I have a question for everyone, should I install the camera high enough for all can see or low enough that walkers on the sidewalk / road can not see the camera? I have no intrust pointing at the sidewalk or road.
The sidewalk gets approximately 130 people walking by per day.
My main concern if I put the camera high people will be mad at the camera being there and may try damaging my home or the fence.
What are your thoughts?Screenshot_20240621_102709_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is you goal - to see what is going on on the other side of the fence or to IDENTIFY?

And is it for the sidewalk or not - you have another sentence that says you have no interest in pointing at the sidewalk or road?

But paint it and put it where it gets you the image you want.

Most people are oblivious. My neighbor has a 4 foot fence as close to the sidewalk as you do and it hasn't been touched or even really noticed in over 4 years.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is you goal - to see what is going on on the other side of the fence or to IDENTIFY?

And is it for the sidewalk or not - you have another sentence that says you have no interest in pointing at the sidewalk or road?

But paint it and put it where it gets you the image you want.

Most people are oblivious. My neighbor has a 4 foot fence as close to the sidewalk as you do and it hasn't been touched or even really noticed in over 4 years.
I would love to see the sidewalk also, I just have the feeling people will try to damage the camera by throwing stuff at it.. this is canada ontario , so a lot of all kinds of people walking by..
However my main area of concern is on the side of the house that I want recorded. On my side of the fence

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Focus on getting what you want to see, which appears to be between your house and fence and not the sidewalk, and if you get sidewalk, you get sidewalk.

If you also want to see sidewalk then add another camera for that job later on.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree that capturing the sidewalk is really not necessary. I'd be more concerned with getting good coverage on the house side of the fence.

That being said, if you really want camera's capturing the sidewalk, it seems like that fence is a great spot to mount a bird house with a camera(s) hidden inside.

ricklndn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree that capturing the sidewalk is really not necessary. I'd be more concerned with getting good coverage on the house side of the fence.

That being said, if you really want camera's capturing the sidewalk, it seems like that fence is a great spot to mount a bird house with a camera(s) hidden inside.
I agree I'll put the camera low enough that it can not be seen from the sidewalk.