Camera Network Suggestions and Help

Blue65

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello guys I have had my 4 dahua POE camera setup with NVR for quite sometime. I really like the setup, but I know the network configuration piece is not what would be recommended. I am looking for guidance of how I should set this up correctly. I have read I need to put the cameras and NVR on their own VLAN, but even that is a bit confusing to me, but I am sure I could figure it out with a bit of help from you guys.

This is my current setup and if I need to provide more details please let me know.
4 Dahua POE Cameras
1 Dahua NVR
1 Ubiquiti Edge Router X My cable modem is hooked up to the Edge Router
1 Ubiquiti Long Range Wifi AP
1 Zxel POE Switch that I run all my cameras to and the NVR

I I can view my cameras now by logging into the NVR or also using smart pss on the LAN. Some of the objectives would be to be able to view the cameras from my mobile phone, and then also to possibly setup some alerts when there is movement outside during the late hours. That movement piece I understand can be tricky and really would first like to tackle the network situation.

I keep looking for recommendations, on how to set this up but I know that everyone's setup is just a bit different, and I am running into a problem on what is the best practice on getting this going from a network perspective.

I have been looking for guidance on this for a while and anything that you can offer is really appreciated. Thank you guys/gals!