Camera option for area I can’t get Ethernet wire to? Outer GA door area.

CPM10V

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 cameras set up on a home network/blue iris that are wired with Ethernet POE & works well. I want to add a camera to look over my driveway area but can’t get the Ethernet cable to this location, just too far to link up.

What camera options are recommended in this situation? I know it’s not ideal but some type of camera with wi-fi with an onboard memory card?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are your blocking restrictions from running an Ethernet cable to the garage...?? Does your garage have a soffit..?? Even with Wi-Fi you'll need a way to power the camera unless you like changing batteries all the time.

CPM10V

n3wb
Reaction score
It’s too long of a run to get there & it’s a flat roof so there’s not much if any room above. The wiring I added was when I had drywall removed inside & could run wiring to side of house & entry door.

I can get power to a camera outside from an outlet that was added to a mini panel for rooftop mini split unit.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It’s too long of a run to get there & it’s a flat roof so there’s not much if any room above. The wiring I added was when I had drywall removed inside & could run wiring to side of house & entry door.

I can get power to a camera outside from an outlet that was added to a mini panel for rooftop mini split unit.
The old saying goes where there's a will there's a way....maybe not an easy way, but a way. I can think of several possibilities here. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A wifi camera will not cut it if you are sending to a 24/7 recording device like an NVR or BI. It will slow your whole system down.

There are always ways if you don't want to run an ethernet cable.

You need power anyway, so go with a powerline adapter to run the data over your electric lines or use a nano-station.

Is there ethernet outside now that you could add a splitter and run another line down behind a downspout or something else and then bury it?

Maybe you are fine now one day with wifi cams, but one day something will happen. A new device, neighbors microwave, etc.

Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your entire system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent, especially once you start adding distance. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

And then once you add distance and external walls, you will get the pixelated mess Ring and Nest and other wifi cams are known for when the motion happens.