Camera over VPN to Server

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So here's the deal I have a camera server in one location and I have a couple cameras in another. I didn't want to build an entire new server for just a couple cameras (four to be exact) and the cameras were existing when I took over the building.

I decided the easiest way would be to setup a VPN between the buildings and I will say it works pretty well. However I have run into an annoying issue and honestly don't know which side of the VPN is causing it or if its some other setting. The problem is the cameras connect and will record but periodically the cameras will disconnect which causes incomplete footage and an annoyance to wait for the camera to come back to watch live..

Upon investigation I have no errors on the vpn no matter which side i look at. Has anybody ran a similar setup or maybe have some performance tips? below are further details about the setup

Location A (Camera Server)

Mikrotik CCR - Client LT2P

Blue Iris Camera Server

Location B (Cameras)

UNIFI USG 3P

Unifi Switch 24P POE

3 IP Cameras - Set at 8 FPS

1 PTZ IP Camera - Set at 10FPS with controls functioning with Blue Iris

Firewalls for both locations allow traffic between the different local subnets (restricted to the cameras and server networks). no access without VPN active

According to my Mikrotik (Client Side of the VPN) I am transmitting 120 kbps and receiving roughly 5 MBPS

According to the USG (Server side of VPN) I am receiving 387 kbps and Transmitting 5.72 MBPS on average