camera selection for Sailboat mast

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to cameras in general, looking for something I could mount to the top of the mast to help with docking, keeping a lookout when sailing alone, etc.

I come up with the following specs:

Programmable Pan, Tilt, Zoom (prefer open source or very flexible control software)

Display live output video on iPad/ iPhone (must have), or TV (optional) Strong preference for “real time” vs. a delay of any more than a couple seconds.

70 foot cables (if any cables needed) to reach mast top.

12V powered, prefer 12-14.7V range

Remotely adjustable Polarizing lens (I have never seen this feature, might have to build this feature myself. I’m not sure how useful it will be in my application, but want to try because it seems to make a big difference for water.

“Night vision” is in same category, possibly not great in practice, but fun feature to try out

Rain/snow/sun proof. Extremely sunroof.

Small size

Capable to interface with other software for future video analytics projects (alarm on boat sighting, etc)

Any advice on makes/models to research, or the plan in general are most welcome. Thank you

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
One thing you missed is that you'll want a CVI, composite video, camera and not an IP camera. IP always has an inherent delay that can range from a second or so to two or three seconds. That kind of time delay can be critical when docking.

Even more important than UV proof is salt water proof. There you're going to have problems. Most, quality, cameras are metal, usually mystery metal, housings that corrode very nicely in salt rich environments.

Size is another problem. A PTZ is an inherently large form factor. Even a small PTZ is large compared to it's fixed brother'n. They're also usually kind of heavy compared to fixed cameras.

12VDC is the standard so that's not a problem.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the suggestion on CCTV, I will do some google research on the differences between systems. I hope there's not often salt at the top of the mast, but it's a good point.
Gordon West- I looked at his website and he looks to specialize in radio communication. I didn't see much about cameras, what did you have in mind?

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Gordo is specialized in radio but on sailboats hence the reference.
A valuable source of info...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's not a question of salt water, it's the salt laden atmosphere. Fog that rolls in from the ocean is a major contributor, too. It's not unusual to have a dome or turret camera become so corroded that it can't be removed or dis-assembled without destroying it, at least partially, after a year or two. Oh yeah, don't use a dome camera. The dome will get coated pretty quickly with salt residue and blind the camera, especially at nigh when the IR of the camera comes on.