Camera Suggestions

Reaction score
Hi, all.

I recently finished construction on my new house and am wanting to upgrade my cameras. I previously had a few Foscam C1s connected to BlueIris and they worked great for me. Only one was outside (this was in a townhouse) and it was covered so I was ok with running an indoor camera, outdoors (and the fact that it was ~$50).

I can't do that anymore and need to upgrade. I am pretty sure I want to go with Dahua cameras but the more I read the more confused I get as there are tons of options.

I'm thinking about the Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) as the reviews make it seem like this is THE camera to buy, at least it was in 2016/2017.

I want to be able to record audio (must have), and I want great night vision (not opposed to installing IR lights if needed). At the risk of sounding like a newb, I'll say that the 2Mp scares me a bit. Only for the fact that I would like to be able to zoom in to license plates of cars that pass by, if needed.

Attached is a picture of the front of my house with arrows pointing to the location of where I plan on installing the cameras.

Edit: POE is also a requirement for me as I don't have power everywhere. I'd also like for mounting brackets to be available so I don't have to fabricate something.

House.png

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance!

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5231R is a good choice in either of its variations. Mounting brackets are availlble for it, both an electrical box style and an "L" shaped wall bracket. Check with Andy, great pricing and very fast shipping kingsecurity2014@163.com and let him know you're on this board.

Reaction score
The 5231R is a good choice in either of its variations. Mounting brackets are availlble for it, both an electrical box style and an "L" shaped wall bracket. Check with Andy, great pricing and very fast shipping kingsecurity2014@163.com and let him know you're on this board.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking at the IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 now which seems to have better zoom. I'm not opposed to bullets and am thinking for a few dollars more I can get a better zoom.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The turret won't be bothered, as much, by bugs being attracted to the IR which is a major advantage over bullets especially if they're mounted a little too high to clean conveniently.