Camera time and NetTime

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good morning!

I'm not a Windows or NetTime app user, but does NetTime's time server need to be bound to the camera network NIC to listen on that NIC instead of the main LAN NIC?

This is how the cameras are currently set it, they are pointed to the cameras NIC.

Sorry, I forgot to tell you to try that program from a machine other than your NTP server. You want to see if you can get through to the server from the network/cams.

Load it up on another machine. Point it to your NetTime server. Click Test like 5 or 6 times. On the server, open the NetTime log. You should see the connections from that machine at the bottom of the log.

Nothing unusual that I can think of as far as this goes for the Dahua cams.

I tried running the NTP checker on another computer (off the server) on our LAN and it was a no-go. BUT on the same computer, if I enter the main LAN NIC, it works! Is it safe (hacking-wise and cameras being able to reach the internet) to point the camera's NTP to the main LAN NIC and not the camera NIC?

Screenshot 2024-02-21 073818.png

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure what you have where there but your NTP server needs to have Internet access in order to pull the time from whatever outside server. On the other side, your cams need to be able to see your NTP server without having Internet access. So, generally, assuming that you've segregated the networks, you'd have your BI/NTP server on both networks and the cams on their own pointing to the IP of the NTP server on that side.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You should open Windows' Resource Monitor app
1708531614172.png

and go to the Network tab > Listening Ports, Click the "Port" column to sort ascending, and see what is listening on Port 123 with Protocol UDP. It should be NetTimeService.exe. As long as it is listening on "IPv4 unspecified" that means it should be listening on all network interfaces.

1708531675981.png

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Y'all are going to never believe this! Me being out of options to fix this because of my knowledge base; I was just playing around within the camera settings.

I pointed a camera's NTP to my WAN NIC - "dang, it didn't work," so I switched it back to my camera NIC and it started working!! I did the same process with the other two cameras and it also worked with them too.

I guess we'll see if it holds now, and I want to thank everyone again for your time and help with this.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 10.25.41.png

Reaction score
You should open Windows' Resource Monitor app
View attachment 187201

and go to the Network tab > Listening Ports, Click the "Port" column to sort ascending, and see what is listening on Port 123 with Protocol UDP. It should be NetTimeService.exe. As long as it is listening on "IPv4 unspecified" that means it should be listening on all network interfaces.

View attachment 187202
Interesting, mine is different:

1708533334066.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I think it depends on how you set up the rule. Whether there are some limitations defined as far as allowing traffic through. i.e., All, Any/Any vs Private, single host/whatever.

Port 37 is an older time protocol that NetTime also listens for.