camera with a transparent black cover?

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking for an outdoor dome camera with a transparent black cover so no one knows which direction the camera is pointed. Are there such cameras?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know of one that is totally stealth; it may be easier to hide / disguise the camera itself.

IIRC, the terms "transparent" and "black" are mutually exclusive in that if the cover was black, it'd be "opaque" and not transparent. There may be a "translucent" cover that is tinted but then it would not be totally stealth.

Also, since camera sensors respond to visible light much like the human eye, how would the camera "see" if humans cannot see the sensor itself?

Unless you could locate a dome that is made of IR passing plastic (camera compatible wave length) then you could use an IR light source 24/7 (also camera compatible wave length) but there would be no color.

I admit that I could easily be wrong here (my wife reminds me frequently); perhaps someone else will correct me and enlighten all of us.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ha, I see Tony jumped in while I was figuring out what to say. I agree with all he said. I was equally confused over the black and transparent cover.

You've been on the forum for 4+ years, so you're aware most on this forum prefer bullet and turret (eyeball) cams.
There is a low profile dual cam dome sometimes used for entry applications.

Perhaps you can share more info about what you're trying to achieve.
My take is that if you're mounting a dome camera say 8ft up you'd have to get pretty close to the camera to figure out where the lens is pointing assuming ideal lighting/glare conditions.

Last edited:

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't know of one that is totally stealth; it may be easier to hide / disguise the camera itself.

IIRC, the terms "transparent" and "black" are mutually exclusive in that if the cover was black, it'd be "opaque" and not transparent. There may be a "translucent" cover that is tinted but then it would not be totally stealth.
I actually thought that if there was an outer layer above the lens it could prevent the person being captured from understanding exactly where the camera was aimed.

The cover does not have to be black, enough to be "blurry", it will make it difficult to identify where the camera is aimed because the camera will be placed at a distance of about 20 meters.

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps you can share more info about what you're trying to achieve.
I want to capture from a distance of 20 meters but do not want anyone passing through the area to understand that the camera is aimed at him.

You've been on the forum for 4+ years, so you're aware most on this forum prefer bullet and turret (eyeball) cams.
I thought in this case the external shape of the camera would make it difficult for the person being captured to understand where the camera was aimed but in fact it could be any other type of provided camera which meets my main requirement.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would work this solution backwards based on your image requirements.
20 meters (60 feet) is pretty far away. I'm no camera guru but find that DORI chart and see what size lens you would need. 12mm or bigger?
Once you've narrowed down what lens size will give you the image you want at that distance, then see what cams are available. Perhaps only a 2x vari-focal option.

If you want an image at night, keep in mind the primary light source.

I think at 20 meters no one is going to be able to figure out the camera is focused on them if they can even spot the camera to begin with. Too far away especially if the color of the camera blends into the background. You could always disguise the camera but leave the lens area open like I did with our birdhouse cams. I've watched delivery people to see if they notice and so far only one FedEx driver noticed the camera out of perhaps 6 or so others. Most are pre-occupied doing something else and not focused on looking for a camera. Maybe only bad people are on the lookout for cams.

Perhaps you can share a picture of the view from both ends.

20200816_183616.jpg

Roye

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think at 20 meters no one is going to be able to figure out the camera is focused on them if they can even spot the camera to begin with. Too far away especially if the color of the camera blends into the background. You could always disguise the camera but leave the lens area open like I did with our birdhouse cams.
It seems to me this is the right direction in my case. Thank you for your help!