Camera yellow triangle on sub-stream

vecchio

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris 5.2.8.3 installed on an Optiplex 600 with an i5-4590 and 12Gb of memory. The CPUhas a benchmark of 5,400, nothing else installed, it is utilized exclusively for Blue Iris, thus it should be OK (not great, I know) power-wise

I have installed 8 cameras, most 4mp (see attached) , most of them are Loryta IPC-T2431T-AS (Dahua -IPC-HDW2431T-AS). All cameras and Bl are on a separate VLAN, layer 3 switch and opnsense on its own appliance. This Vian shows traffic of around 800k bit/sec, thus nothing particularly taxing.
BI Camera List.jpg
While I get recording when there is motion, the CPU in Blue Iris is showing 95%-100% all the the time, and I know from Task Manager that Blue Iris is the culprit. I did a bit of research on Bl optimization, which I think I implemented. However, I see the yellow triangle showing up on all cameras for one or two seconds , then off, then on again. With some frequency the cameras lose connection. The problems start to manifest after I implemented sub-stream - before I had no substreams and everything worked fine, although the CPU was constantly at 95% (which is why I implemented substreams). I noticed that the substream screen in BI (see BI general attachment) shows 4.1mp, shouldn't that be D1 as per the camera setting in attachment Camera Video Settings?
BI General.jpg
BI Video Setting.jpg
I attached a bunch of screenshots showing my video settings in the camera menu, the settings in Blue Iris and the yellow triangle that keeps popping on and of on the substream. Not sure at this point what the problem is, need help to diagnose.
thanks

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Substreams should help, not make it worse.

Make sure you don't have antivirus going and BI is excluded.

Also turn off hardware acceleration if you have them turned on.

That computer is still capable and shouldn't be that high, so you have something going on.

vecchio

n3wb
Reaction score
Wittaj, implemented your suggestions, CPU is still at 95%/100%. However, turning off video acceleration got rid of the yellow triangles, I can see that all cameras are now transmitting at abut 15fps, although it is unstable. After I rebooted, most substreams were at 1/2fps, and struggling, Then all the sudden they went up to about 15fps each.
Very puzzling

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
First, we can't easily see and most aren't going to bother to download the files when you post as PDFs. You'll get better response if you post as JPG/PNG/GIF, whatever that can been seen in the post.

Seems like something isn't quite right with the substreams. Looks like you set up using Dahua as the Make/Model. Pick one of the cams and make sure ONVIF is turned on in the cam and that you have a valid ONVIF user account set up and then try the BI setup again using Find/Inspect. You should then end up with Make showing as Generic/ONVIF and Model showing as RTSP H.264/H.265/MJPG/MPEG4. Use the following for main and substream profiles (the difference being subtype=0 vs 1 for main and sub) :
Code:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Set Hardware decode to No.

That should give you a good starting point.

Also, did you make one and then copy, copy, copy for the rest? I've had some odd effects in various versions BI when doing that. Seemed to somehow still think of the cams as clones and relate them even if I went back and changed all of that.

vecchio

n3wb
Reaction score
Mike, thanks for your suggestions, they are perfect.
I implemented your recommendations (getting the right code in the substream profile, that's key - also avoiding copy one camera setting to another ), and now I have 20% CPU utilization vs 100%.
Made a big difference vs using only the main stream (which gave me 95% CPU utilization) or mismanaging the substream settings in BI (which not only had 100% CPU, but also forced the cameras to flap/lose connection)

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Glad that you got it working better.

Also, the above wasn't to say that you can't ever copy a cam. Works fine and can save you a lot of time. But sometimes I have seen some odd issues after doing that. Better to start from scratch if you're having some problem.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, the above wasn't to say that you can't ever copy a cam. Works fine and can save you a lot of time. But sometimes I have seen some odd issues after doing that. Better to start from scratch if you're having some problem.
No kidding. Yesterday I was spinning up 4 cams on my main BI system for quick testing before bringing them to another location. 2/3 attempts to duplicate the previous camera failed and caused the Blue Iris service to crash and the local console GUI to hang, needing killed by task manager. Then the camera that was being added wasn't completely added somehow and I needed to delete its registry entries using Regedit and start over.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what's up with it sometimes. Seems to think that you always want a clone when you make a copy and holds some association with the original cam. Don't know where that would be. I have one now that I copied that I went back and changed everything but still occasionally when I make a change to it I'll see the other original cam do the color bar display as BI does when you make and save changes.