Cameras for marine environment?

Oct 4, 2024
Europe
Hi everyone,

I am in the process of upgrading our cameras onboard a boat (currently using Lilin cameras, which are horrendous).

I require the following cameras:

- 8 x PTZ dome cameras (both interior and exterior use)
- 4 x HD weather-resistant cameras (wide angle is a bonus) - these also need to be ceiling mounted, not wall mounted, as they will be fitted underneath spreaders.

So far, I have been looking at Amcrest, Dahua, Milestone and Axis.

Since they will be in a harsh marine environment, they need to be 100% watertight and pretty robust to stand up to the elements.

Cameras of interest so far include:
The cameras will be running off either Frigate, Scrypted or Blur Iris.

Budget for the HD cameras should ideally be around 2000 euros or under, and the dome cameras around 1000 euros or under - unless the price can really justify the quality.

Based on the above, I would really appreciate any advice on available options that I could have a look at.

Thanks so much in advance!

1. how big boat? what type?

2. All profesional cameras on the market are air and watertight - they are designed to mount outside..

3. there are some dedicated anti-corrosion models from some vendors - which have extra solutions for high humidity areas - but product catalog is very limiting..

4. none of models specified by You are labeled as anti corrosion model...

5. You selected also models with small image sensors (1/2.8") which will give You bad night performance..

6. You have very strange ratio of cams - 8 PTZs and only 4 fixed cams ..
can You explain why?

normally there is a lot of fixed cams (they are much cheaper) and only a few PTZ...

BIG plus of modern PTZ is that they have auto-tracking - so can automatically zoom/focus at some person.
popular problem with PTZ is that they see narrow (max 60 degree horizontal) and they usually are looking in wrong direction.
if they focus on one person they don't see the rest of the area..

Fixed cams can be very cheap and most system are usually based on much higher numbers of fixed cams - to cover are area...
fixed cams can be mixed - wide fixed lens (2.8mm gives You 110 degree horizontal view) and varifocals with zoom to cover bigger distances at a lower horizontal view..
There are 180 degrees cams with 2 lenses - which can be something interesting for You if You want lots of overview in the middle of area..

7. One more problem with ptz cams. The boat swings non-stop and so does the camera.
PTZ cameras are designed for permanent mounting, to surfaces that do not swing.
I don't know how the mechanism that moves the head will react to constant swinging.

8. dome cameras can be problematic (dome creates a lot of IR reflections, require frequent cleanings).. much better are turrets (to mount under something) or bullets...

9. there are PTZ cams with wipers - which can be handy for You...

10. Buying a profesional cams for a lot of money and connecting them to some pc with frigate/scripted/blueiris?

today cams have a lot of AI options (perimeter protection with people/car filtering, people capturing and describing by look which can be later searched, area incident searching)..
the best solution is to stay in one brand and use NVR from that brand to have access to all AI features offered by camera..
NVR will allow to fast search by different actions and parameters..

11. here on the forum, the most popular cams are Dahua 5442 series.. they are 4Mpx with big very bright at night image sensor, very good image processing and AI functionality.. they come in many many variants (chassis, fixed or varifocal/zoomed optics, colors).. they are cheap (150-250 USD depending of chassis/optics/models)..

in theory some of the 5442 models (5442H) can be ordered in anti-corrosion coatings.

Last edited: