Cameras stop recording when using sub stream

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been using out-of-the-box BI5 for a couple of years now. I finally started watching through some optimization videos and reading through the ipcamtalk wiki articles and making changes. After adding the sub streams to lower CPU utilization, two of my cameras have stopped recording altogether. I'm fairly certain that the sub stream address is correct, but I get a yellow flag on the two cameras in question, identical cameras from the same manufacturer, within ten seconds or so of adding the sub stream.

cam1.JPG

The camera that works, you can see that it shows main stream and sub stream details with the sub stream enabled,

cam2.JPG

The two identical cameras that stop recording show only the sub stream details and no main stream details at all with the sub stream enabled.

The camera that is working is a very basic Foscam 5MP. The two that are not working are Foscam R4S. The two are recording again now, but only by completely deleting the sub stream information and dropping back to the main stream.

Any ideas what would cause the main stream recording to stop altogether when enabling a cameras sub stream?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Does each camera have it's own User interface that you can view?
Perhaps substream is not a thing in that camera,or its not enabled,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Being a lower end consumer grade camera, it may only be able to stream one at a time as well.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, it seems to be enabled. When I use the Foscam software and go to those cameras' settings, they show sub stream information, and the sub stream appears to be being used for the BI display when I enable it in BI. It's just that, when I do, the main stream stops, so there is no recording done for the two cameras in question. From that point on, until I disable it, I basically just have a live view through those two cameras with no video recording.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Being a lower end consumer grade camera, it may only be able to stream one at a time as well.
That certainly may be true, but within the Foscam ecosystem, the R4S is a higher grade camera than the one that is working, which is basically just a wi-fi only baby monitor type camera, so it seems really strange that it would work with that one, but not the other two.

I'll touch base with Foscam. They're usually pretty responsive to requests. Maybe they'll have some ideas.

For now, I've done away with the sub stream and I'm back in business. It's just not quite as good for CPU utilization.

Thanks.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think I have it working now. When I went back into camera settings, I double-checked the camera model showing under the configuration. There was another option below the default one that had been selected during setup. It listed the same camera models, but it had RTSP at the end. I selected that one, then entered the sub stream address and reset the camera. As soon as it came back up and I went into camera settings, I could see stream details for both streams and I knew I was good. The main stream is recording now, with the sub stream enabled. I had to do a lot of fancy Googling and then really look through the configuration options and, even then, I finally just had to start trying different things.

Everything appears to be working well now and my CPU utilization is hovering around 6-7%. I'm happy so far.