Cameras that send email with customizable subjects?

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a bunch of old Foscam cameras and they insist on using illegible stock email subject lines (SoundDetect, etc.) Would like my next cameras to allow customizing the subjects.

Would also like the option to request an HTTP resource on motion (or alarm). Have some that do FTP, but never seen any that can trigger a script on a Web server. Seems like a no-brainer for HA systems, as well as IFTTT and the like.

At least one needs to have dry contacts (for doorbell triggering).

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have a bunch of old Foscam cameras and they insist on using illegible stock email subject lines (SoundDetect, etc.) Would like my next cameras to allow customizing the subjects.

Would also like the option to request an HTTP resource on motion (or alarm). Have some that do FTP, but never seen any that can trigger a script on a Web server. Seems like a no-brainer for HA systems, as well as IFTTT and the like.

At least one needs to have dry contacts (for doorbell triggering).

Any suggestions?
Why not use blue iris? Alerts are very customizable. I have mine set to send me 5 inline pictures with a custom subjects with the camera name plus the words "IPCam Alert". It has options to send a request from a web service. No idea what that means myself but maybe this us what you are looking for? It can also be set to run a program or execute a script. You should check it out. In my opinion it is going to be way more customizable than any cam.

Camera Properties - Alerts

David Mark

n3wb
Reaction score
Why not use blue iris? Alerts are very customizable. I have mine set to send me 5 inline pictures with a custom subjects with the camera name plus the words "IPCam Alert". It has options to send a request from a web service. No idea what that means myself but maybe this us what you are looking for? It can also be set to run a program or execute a script. You should check it out. In my opinion it is going to be way more customizable than any cam.

Camera Properties - Alerts
There's no doubt it would allow for more customization, but it also introduces a central point of failure for all cams. Also, would not respond to dry contact alarms.

I much prefer for cams to be responsible for sending their own emails. And if FTP was a common feature ten years ago, figure at least some have learned to HTTP by now.

Thanks!