Cameras Used for Detection/Early Warning?

cyclone182

n3wb
Reaction score
Been reading a lot on here about how many of you use cameras for ID’ing after an incident. My primary use case is more so for triggering alerts when someone comes onto my property, as part of detection and early warning. Does anyone have any automatons they use in conjunction with this use case to aid in the early warning, besides the obvious phone alert (I use pushover)?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a 105db piezoelectric buzzer that goes off for two IVS rules at night. One is of someone enters the property and the other is if someone is lingering in front of my house for longer than 25 seconds.

It went off the other night and the wife and I both jumped. Turns out it was a larger than normal domestic cat. I adjusted the minimum size for that detection in the morning.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a few HA automations w/ my cameras - if my doorbell detects a human after midnight but before sunrise it turns on all floodlights around my entire house & if my doorbell is rung (in the same timeframe) the same thing happens just in case the cam doesn't identify a human before they ring the bell.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
When WebCore was still usable on SmartThings I had a script that if motion was detected from sunset to sunrise the can lights on my front porch would go from 10% to 100%. If 3 minutes went by with no motion they would return to 10%.

I don't have a specific automation, but you could do something similar that would turn an interior light to a specific color for certain detections.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
@cyclone182

Here's a video from the other night which seems to be exactly what you're looking for me. My Color4K/X (great night camera) detected people in the loitering zone for longer than the 20 second threshold I have set.

The alarm sounded on the camera and it sent them packing. They weren't even on my property as the idea is to keep them out. The piezoelectric buzzer went off waking up my wife and I but they were already high-tailing it.

Reaction score
Been reading a lot on here about how many of you use cameras for ID’ing after an incident. My primary use case is more so for triggering alerts when someone comes onto my property, as part of detection and early warning. Does anyone have any automatons they use in conjunction with this use case to aid in the early warning, besides the obvious phone alert (I use pushover)?
Please note: After I typed this I was unable to Post with screenshots inline. Not sure why, never happened before. I've attached files - maybe you can see them.

You are probably aware of this, but Blue Iris includes a large number of audio files such as alarms and sirens that can be played natively
in response to triggers and alerts:
<screenshot>

My Blue Iris machine is a headless box in the server room, so don't really have any audio output from that machine. Instead, I use Blue Iris and Home Assistant
with MPD players distributed around the house. The little speaker units are fairly innocuous looking and indistinct. But the cost of and availability of
Raspberry Pi's these days makes it a little challenging.
<screenshot>

I actually have four MPD players in the house because in addition to the general purpose ones for Blue Iris and Home Assistant, I also have high quality
Digital to Analog (DAC) audio hats for the Pi's that are attached to vintage stereos and use MPD based jukebox software called Rune Audio. Home Assistant
sees those as media players too.
<screenshot>

Having said that, we have a lot of redundant and not particularly well thought out functionality in our house. For example Home Assistant supports Text-to-speech (TTS) on
MPD devices, so they are often used in my house as intercoms (fun to hear, "Somebody bring me a beer!" on my my 40-year Sansui or Mitsubishi stereos;)), but we also
have Dahua VTH's that we use for intercoms, and wall mounted touchscreen PC's that are used with SIP as intercoms. Home Assistant can also control various networked
audio receivers (we have a Yamaha, for example) and those can be used in automations. others have mentioned, once home automation software and MQTT are
integrated, basically the sky's the limit on what you can do with audio, lights, etc.

Although these days I primarily pass triggers and alerts to Home Assistant via MQTT, you can access MPD through the Blue Iris machine without Home Assistant:
I wrote a little blurb about it at one point:

Attachments