Cameras via Powerline

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys
Quick question about an installation I did at my unit last week.
I leave on level 3 and I installed 4 x Hikvision 4k camera inside the parking area underground.
I connect all the cameras to a 5 port POE switch (4 x POE + 1 LAN) and then to a Powerline adapter connected on my power circuit that power line my unit.
Before I Install the cameras I did a speed test and I reach speed of 50Mbps without any drops.

After installing the NVR, but without HDD (because is still in transit) I notice that the cameras all show up, I successfully register all to the NVR but if I double want see the live view full screen on the main page the image go black.

Do i made a mistake by using the powerline adapter? The bandwidth is too much ?
Is because the NVR doesn't have HDD installed?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depending on the parameters you set the 4K cameras up at you could be exceeding that.

Which powerline adapter are you using?

Does the NVR support the resolution of the mainstream?

What are you running for FPS and bitrate of the mainstream? If you are going with 30FPS and a high bitrate you are probably exceeding the powerline adapter.

As a test drop the FPS to 5FPS and bitrate of 1000 for each camera and see if you see mainstream, If not, then the NVR probably isn't capable of the mainstream resolution. Next would then be to drop the resolution of the camera down to 4MP and see if you see the cameras.

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Depending on the parameters you set the 4K cameras up at you could be exceeding that.

Which powerline adapter are you using?

Does the NVR support the resolution of the mainstream?

What are you running for FPS and bitrate of the mainstream? If you are going with 30FPS and a high bitrate you are probably exceeding the powerline adapter.

As a test drop the FPS to 5FPS and bitrate of 1000 for each camera and see if you see mainstream, If not, then the NVR probably isn't capable of the mainstream resolution. Next would then be to drop the resolution of the camera down to 4MP and see if you see the cameras.
Hi and thanks for your replay,
The power line is a TP-Link AV2000
The NVR is the DS-7608NI...should support 8 channel at 4K
I was not able to setup the cameras yet , but I will follow your suggestion.
The LAN has an old TP-Link 16port gigabit switch where all the rest of the house is connected, I was thinking maybe to buy a separate switch just for the cameras and NVR?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should be getting faster speeds thru that powerline adapter, so there must be a lot of other traffic going thru that gigabit switch that is slowing it down. A separate switch would be good.

But that is a budget NVR limited to 80Mbps incoming bandwidth and is only capable of decoding 2 channels at 4K. You are exceeding the capacity of the unit.

Incoming Bandwidth80 Mbps
Decoding Capability1-ch@12 MP (30 fps)/2-ch@8 MP (30 fps)/4-ch@4 MP (30 fps)/8-ch@1080p (30 fps)

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok
I will try with another switch then.
To be precise the camera in the parking area are 4x 2cd2386g2 and I have 4 x 4MP cameras installed in the house.
The 4 in the house are connected on the direct switch at the back of the NVR.
So I need put all the camera at 1080p 30fps for not overload the NVR.....correct?
1080p is 4Mp?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah if you have four 4k cameras and four 4MP cameras you are exceeding the capacity of the NVR by a lot.

1080P is 2MP.

Run lower FPS. Movies are shot at 24FPS so you don't really need more than that LOL. Even though it says 30FPS, real world shows it can't push that thru and keep up.

Most here run 15FPS, but with that NVR you may need to go to 10FPS at like 2048 bitrate and still may be over capacity of the NVR.

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah if you have four 4k cameras and four 4MP cameras you are exceeding the capacity of the NVR by a lot.

1080P is 2MP.

Run lower FPS. Movies are shot at 24FPS so you don't really need more than that LOL. Even though it says 30FPS, real world shows it can't push that thru and keep up.

Most here run 15FPS, but with that NVR you may need to go to 10FPS at like 2048 bitrate and still may be over capacity of the NVR.
OK
I will follow your suggestion.
So put the cameras at 2MP, 15Fps and 1500bitrate...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that should work. And then slowly increase bit rate or resolution until it can't keep up and then back down a little.

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have another questions....
Local Lan is on 192.168.1.0/24
The cameras connected direct on the NVR need have IP that is same of local LAN? Or can be any IP range?

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An NVR usually will Ssign the cameras a different IP address subnet. Many go with 10.x.x.x

ismurdegus

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes I notice but because I have 4 to connect direct to the NVR and 4 on the LAN, I was not sure if I need modify the IP address range of the NVR switch so that will be on the same range of the LAN

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Let the NVR use it's default 10.x.x.x network, and then You can search for the 192.168.1.x cams within the NVR under Remote devices, and see what it finds, and when when prompted to "add" enter the current USER pass you assigned the remote.Cameras. If they were all new and plugged in at the same time, they all might have the same Default address from the factory.