Cameras with human figure detection for perimeter security

Reaction score
I'm doing a bit of research for a friend who is trying to create a perimeter security system, and who needs several cameras that can detect human figures. Here is what he wants:

(1) The camera must be mountable outdoors.
(2) The camera should be able to detect a human crossing the field of view, excluding automobiles or other motion. Occasional false alarms are not a problem, as long as they are not excessive.
(3) The "human detector" algorithm should preferably be internal to the camera. Cloud processing is acceptable only if it does not require a fee.
(4) The camera should be able to email an alert when a human figure is detected.
(5) Upon receiving the alert, security personnel should be able to log into the camera remotely and view the live video stream on a laptop computer - not a cell phone.
(6) Onboard video storage (SD card) is highly desirable.
(7) The camera should be "direct to Internet" with its connection, without going through an NVR. WiFi is preferred due to ease of installation, but PoE will also be considered.
(8) Video quality should be decent, but doesn't have to be superb. The idea is that security will watch the feed, and then call the police based on what they see. They just need to see enough to figure out what is going on.

A Wyze cam in a waterproof enclosure hits most of these marks, but the cell phone interface is a show-stopper. Dahua also has several new AI cameras that could probably do the job, which I'm looking at right now.

My question is this: am I missing any manufacturers or camera models that I should consider in this search?

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bosch cams with the IVA package, e.g. NIN-73023-A3S. I shot a demo video, sorry it is about 4 minutes long. We've got a busy park scene with lots of people, plus vehicles. For the demo, I added a simple tripwire rule and told the cam to only trigger the sample rule for upright persons and bikes. Without even calibrating for size, speed or aspect ratio, you can see from about 3 minutes onward that it's triggering on people and ignoring vehicles crossing the sample trigger line. If desired, you actually can have it ignore objects moving faster than speed X, or the wrong aspect ratio (hey, that's an alligator, not a human, everything's fine!).

Update: I apologize, the screencapture software didn't grab the config panel where I'm creating the sample rule. It looks like this, and I opt to have it trigger only on people and bicycles.

1574639371022.png

Bosch cams would be accessible directly via the Bosch Cloud Portal (free). Example is shown in the screenshot below, where I've connected to my 8000 Ultra from the Bosch Remote Portal. Alternately, you can port-forward a chosen port on your public IP to the camera's port 443 for an SSL-protected connection. Bosch cams can also upload to DropBox, record/replay to/from an iSCSI target like a Synology NAS and of course email alerts.

51186-3ab59c45f97578662bed5f931226f5b7[1].png

I mentioned the NIN-73023, which is the Flexidome 7000 Starlight, a varifocal 1080P dome with a very simple calibration feature, using position sensors on the camera module to determine angle and read the lens's current zoom. Add the mounting height, choose Portrait or Landscape mode, and now the cam is calibrated to know where the ground plane is, and what would be the right size to be human at various points in the scene. The junior model, the 6000 Starlight, has the less-fancy analytics and you can pick them up for $150-$200 if you shop smart on eBay. It can still filter for objects by size, speed and aspect ratio, could be worth grabbing one to play with. I have a couple of the 6000s.

Attachments

Last edited: