Cameras with macro focus?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm building out a Hikvision system for my home, but one of the things I am interested in is a fish tank cam! Are there cameras where it is possible to adjust the focus so that you can view something right by the lens? For a fish tank cam I would probably want to put the camera flush to the tank glass.

This is lower priority than perimeter security, but sounds like fun down the road. :)

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could get a cctv lens with macro function, but you would be looking at a machine vision lens (custom fitted) and that would give you a very small depth of field, which would be useless for your application. It would be better to get out the lens calculator and mount the camera a distance away from the tank so the angle of view captures the fish tank and very little else. Then set the camera up with a nice high frame rate for fluid motion and a high shutter speed to avoid motion blur.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... I saw one the other day. Was IP68, so you could leave it in your tank. If I find it again I will post here.

I wouldn't use one with IR unless you really want to piss off your fish.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
DOF might be deep enough with a small sensor, I would have to do the math, but it's definitely a concern.

A camera IN the tank sounds like one more thing to clean but I would love to see it anyway if Del Boy finds it. :)