Cameras without VLAN?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I run VLANs. I only average about 100mbps which is still a fraction of what the switches are capable of. Iperf3 test show about 940'ish mbps so, depending on who you talk to, you will get different answers/opinions on VLAN use.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run VLANs. I only average about 100mbps which is still a fraction of what the switches are capable of. Iperf3 test show about 940'ish mbps so, depending on who you talk to, you will get different answers/opinions on VLAN use.
VLAN is some what of an ambiguous term, Because of the origin of the ip address set. the primary Vlan in the router Takes the lead on the network clock. Its when there are two speeds along the same trunk line that causes timing issues. This is different than a switch's Vlan mode. which is a store and forward packet at the device's speed, which might force the packet to travel at a slower speed on the network.
When you use a VPN router it will open a VLAN to clock in the packets onto the network. That is why VPN routers are efficient in handling those connections.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to restate some basic terms that are often misunderstood.....

A VLAN (virtual LAN) is a way to segment your internal LAN network into isolated different parts. This is an easy way to ensure certain devices/segments can't communicate with other devices/segments. It generally requires a router/firewall device and network switches that can support VLANs.

A VPN (virtual private network) is a way to build an encrypted tunnel between devices/networks/locations, etc. This is different from a VLAN and does not require a network switch that supports it. It does require a device that can host a VPN "server/service". In our use case, this means self hosting the "service" (like OpenVPN) on a device on our network. There is no cost to host this service yourself. Many times this is done at the router or firewall level (obviously requires a router/firewall that can support it), however it can also be hosted by a computer on your network. A self hosted VPN is generally considered the most secure way to access your local network while remote.

A DDNS (dynamic DNS service) is a way to have a never changing host name that points to your local network's external public IP address - even if it changes (which is likely if you are using a residential internet provider). There is a part of the system that must be hosted on your local network. Again it is often done in the router/firewall device, but can be on another device if needed. It will communicate with the DDNS provider anytime your external public IP address changes so that the provider uses the updated address. For example, you might have a host name like www.TheAutomationGuy.dyndns.org that you use to connect with your VPN. That host name will never change even though the actual underlying public IP Address might change all the time.

Last edited:

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just to restate some basic terms that are often misunderstood.....

A VLAN (virtual LAN) is a way to segment your internal LAN network into isolated parts. This is an easy way to ensure certain devices/segments can't communicate with other devices/segments. It generally requires a router/firewall device and network switches that can support VLANs.
Vlans can either be isolated or not. Its just an IP set. So even a static set that is not part of the router or managed switch is a Vlan . Normally you would want all VLANS to be managed by a switch or router otherwise, they are not managed. On the NVR, the Cam inputs are the managed switch inputs that is connected to an ehternet port that is seperate device from the Lan Port. The NVR can accept cameras from either network (Lan or managed cam switch)

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Vlans can either be isolated or not. Its just an IP set. So even a static set that is not part of the router or managed switch is a Vlan . Normally you would want all VLANS to be managed by a switch or router otherwise, they are not managed. On the NVR, the Cam inputs are the managed switch inputs that is connected to an ehternet port that is seperate device from the Lan Port. The NVR can accept cameras from either network (Lan or managed cam switch)
I wasn't trying to write a text book with my post ;) - I was simply trying to clear up any confusion because it seems like people were misusing these terms (at least early on in the thread).

While the most common use of a VLAN for readers of this forum is to isolate devices from one another, as you pointed out it isn't the only use case. I'll amend my original post to help prevent confusion.

Last edited: