Cams dropping video

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have had this issue before where a BI would stop receiving a feed from a camera, it was a Dahua at the time. I believe an update to BI fixed it before. Now I have 2 new Hikvision turrets that are doing it. It will stop responding (within BI) for a minute or 2 then it will come back for a little while. It seemed to happen more in the early morning after the sun came up (8-10AM) when it was happening before and now. I would get a drop or 2 during the day, but was infrequent.

I can still connect to the camera via its web interface, but it just drops out in BI. Below is a pic from one of the camera's BI properties.

cam drop.JPG

As you can see it is still getting the feed, just not displaying it. The image is the stuck image until it times out.

One thing that might be the issue on these 2 cams, they have a newer firmware. See the top 2 cams from SADP.

SADP Capture.JPG

I have tried both the "Hikvision other RTSP" and "Hikvision DS-2CDxxxx RTSP" same issue.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like the problem I was having with my 2332. I was getting dozens of "No Signal" a day, starting about a week ago.

What fixed it for me was to increase the network receive buffer in the camera's "Video>Configure>Network Options>Receive Buffer" in Blue Iris. I increased mine from 1.5MB to 10MB and haven't had the camera drop out in the last 2 days.

dalepa

Reaction score
Same problem with my Hik 2032 and 2432, mainly when I setup shadow cams. BI shows no signal, Hik GUI is fine... I'll give the buffer option a try...

Sounds like the problem I was having with my 2332. I was getting dozens of "No Signal" a day, starting about a week ago.

What fixed it for me was to increase the network receive buffer in the camera's "Video>Configure>Network Options>Receive Buffer" in Blue Iris. I increased mine from 1.5MB to 10MB and haven't had the camera drop out in the last 2 days.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give that a shot as well.. Will try 3 first, then bump up if that doesn't fix it.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I used 10MB based on a post from another board. After I've decided for sure that it has addressed the issue I may dial it back some, but so far I haven't seen any adverse issues.

I'm still not sure what caused the symptom to show up. I've been running 5.1.2 on the camera for about 3 weeks now, and only started noticing the No Signal count for that camera racking up in Android app in the last few days. It was about the time that I finally went ahead and upgraded BI from 3.49.06 to 3.51.02, but one of the first things I tried was a rollback to 3.49.06, and I was still getting the No Signals.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe BI has a small issue with the new firmware.

dalepa

Reaction score
just changed all my shadow cams to use 10MB...we'll see how that goes...

btw, anyone heard any news about setting up multiple alerts per camera instead of having to create shadow cameras? I having to create a camera for alerts of specific regions and another shadow camera for recording all other motion without alerts.

I used 10MB based on a post from another board. After I've decided for sure that it has addressed the issue I may dial it back some, but so far I haven't seen any adverse issues.

I'm still not sure what caused the symptom to show up. I've been running 5.1.2 on the camera for about 3 weeks now, and only started noticing the No Signal count for that camera racking up in Android app in the last few days. It was about the time that I finally went ahead and upgraded BI from 3.49.06 to 3.51.02, but one of the first things I tried was a rollback to 3.49.06, and I was still getting the No Signals.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Same problem just started with my Hik DS-2032. Hooked it up 2 weeks ago and everything was fine. Started to get some garbled pixels toward the bottom of the screen in BI in the last day or 2 and then a lot of signal loss today. I also can log into the web interface without any issues. My firmware version is 5.1.0 so I don't think it is the newer 5.1.2 firmware not playing nicely with BI. I'm going to bump up the buffer also and see what happens. For what its worth, I had the same exact problem with my Vivotex IP8332. It worked fine for a few years and then I added a passive splitter to my mix to add an IR unit. The cam was fine initially, but after 2 weeks it started doing exactly what the Hik is doing. This is why I bought the Hik, to swap out the Vivotek. I decided to bypass the passive splitter and not use the IR unit with the Hik. That was 2 weeks ago and everything was fine until the last day or so. It must just be a change in the newest version of BI as I always update to the newest version every time I'm at my camera's location. Hopefully the buffer increase will help with the Vivotek also. I'll post back when I test it.

Chris

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I made the changes to the buffer and I still have the same problem. I also rebooted the computer and rebooted the camera. I also deleted the camera and added it again. I'm still getting the decreasing frame rates and then no signal.

It's really annoying. If anyone figures out how to fix the issue please post.

Also, I can only view my sub stream in the web interface. The main stream never shows a picture. Is there something I'm missing?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sounds like your issue is different than what I was getting. In my case Blue Iris got to where it was showing a No Signal for my camera every few minutes. If I opened the web UI on the camera I could sit there and watch the live view and see it flawlessly display the camera stream when Blue Iris was reporting a No Signal, which was when I decided that my problem was something with Blue Iris, and not a camera or POE issue.

I'm at 3.5 days and counting since upping the buffer, and still show a zero No Signal count for the camera. Last Friday my No Signal count for that camera was >130.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the response digger11. I was hoping the buffer increase would fix the issue. Maybe its a power issue. I have a spare PoE injector so I'll swap that out.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So its night time now and the camera has had video all evening. The cam was set to 10fps in the web interface and BI. It is currently hoovering around 6-7fps. I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow morning. Frustrating that it worked fine for 2 weeks and now this.

dalepa

Reaction score
Im good now with the buffer at 10.

Sounds like your issue is different than what I was getting. In my case Blue Iris got to where it was showing a No Signal for my camera every few minutes. If I opened the web UI on the camera I could sit there and watch the live view and see it flawlessly display the camera stream when Blue Iris was reporting a No Signal, which was when I decided that my problem was something with Blue Iris, and not a camera or POE issue.

I'm at 3.5 days and counting since upping the buffer, and still show a zero No Signal count for the camera. Last Friday my No Signal count for that camera was >130.

Lockwood

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well it is morning and everything is fine. Cam running at 10fps. I'm wondering if it is a heat issue. Maybe not with the camera, but maybe with the PoE injector. It was hotter than normal yesterday. Like I said, I'll swap out the PoE injector and see what happens.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this item in the release notes for BI 3.52 are related to the No Signal issues that some of us have been seeing:

"Updates to RTCP code which will keep some devices from dropping the stream, causing occasional pauses in the video."

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It might be, I have been error free since it updated earlier today. I had a few drops yesterday on other cameras, I bumped the buffer up a little on them.

I will reset the buffer to 1.5s to see if it has fixed the issue.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a couple drops right after dropping it to 1.5. I bumped it back up and no issues yet.