Can a Reolink RLC-423 use for capturing license plate that is 50 feet away?

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been researching for a better IP camera and this one seem to fit the budget. But wondering if anyone out there have this before or something similar? the spec is here.

5MP RLC-423 is with a pixel resolution of 2560x1920, that is, 2.4X the resolution of 1080p Full HD, and even 1.3X the resolution of 1440p Super HD.
his excellent RLC-423 night vision security camera provides you 24/7 continuous monitoring and home surveillance. 6pcs of Infrared LEDs enable a super long-distance night vision – up to 190ft in low light conditions, where normal security systems fail to work.
I mean it got everything to fit capturing license plate in the day time and night time . It even got the IR which is needed for night mode.

I was wondering does it have a shutter of 1/2000? do anyone know if that setting is there before i purchase it.

Thank you..

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it will not. It plays with gain and other parameters to give you a bright image at night and will thus any motion will be a blur. Plus, PTZ cams do not let you set a fixed focus, so at night with a 1/2000 shutter it will hunt all night for something to focus on. At night, the image will be all black except for a head/taillight and plate - nothing else can be seen.

And it only has a 4x times optical zoom - so based in its specs 4x5.3mm = 21.3mm - it will not capture an image of plates as far as the current 32mm zoom camera you already have. It certainly will not be able to identify anything 190 feet out.

Look at this most recent member that tried Reolink, not for LPR, and returned them due to motion blur at night:

I told you in your other thread that I thought you would be stretching that camera distance you got and are using for LPR. If you need more distance, go with the Z12E, which is the goto camera on this site for LPR from @EMPIRETECANDY

If you want a PTZ, spend the extra money and get the 49225 that will give you incredible range (but still suffers from not getting plates at night unless you dedicate it to just that as you cannot set the focus, so it would need to go into B/W early):

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No it will not. It plays with gain and other parameters to give you a bright image at night and will thus any motion will be a blur. Plus, PTZ cams do not let you set a fixed focus, so at night with a 1/2000 shutter it will hunt all night for something to focus on. At night, the image will be all black except for a head/taillight and plate - nothing else can be seen.

And it only has a 4x times optical zoom - so based in its specs 4x5.3mm = 21.3mm - it will not capture an image of plates as far as the current 32mm zoom camera you already have. It certainly will not be able to identify anything 190 feet out.

Look at this most recent member that tried Reolink, not for LPR, and returned them due to motion blur at night:

I told you in your other thread that I thought you would be stretching that camera distance you got and are using for LPR. If you need more distance, go with the Z12E, which is the goto camera on this site for LPR from @EMPIRETECANDY

If you want a PTZ, spend the extra money and get the 49225 that will give you incredible range (but still suffers from not getting plates at night unless you dedicate it to just that as you cannot set the focus):

Thank you so much for the reply!! Just wanted to know if other camera is suitable to capture license plate. This helped me alot.. Will be looking for a Z12E to play around with.. thank you again, have a wonderful holiday!!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.