Can a VLAN be setup on a single port on the EdgeRouterX for a single computer?

MythicFrost

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought it would be possible to plug my desktop into ETH4 and have it setup as a VLAN, but I've failed doing that for the last couple of hours.
I finally get internet working through ETH4 but my IP is in the 192.168.1.1/24 range which is the switch0's IP range.

My understanding was the ethernet traffic will go into ETH4 and be tagged as "VLAN5" and then will travel to wherever it needs to go for internet.
However, I consistently got no connection when I added a VLANID of 5 and PVID of say 2.

Been reviewing lots of YouTube videos and articles about networking and setting up the ERX but not sure where I'm going wrong here.
My desktop being on 192.168.1.1/24 is probably not such a bad thing, but I'm trying to understand why it wasn't working before.

Appreciate any input!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't have an Edge router but the gist of setting up VLANs is the same for all equipment.

1. Create the VLAN you want. Give it another VLAN number other than 1 (5 is fine). Also assign another network/subnet to it other than your native (default) LAN.
2. If you are plugged directly into that EdgerouterX via ETH4, you will need to set that port to an Access port with the VLAN of 5. It defaults to an access port of VLAN 1. You have to assign the VLAN number to the port so it can tag frames as the VLAN you want.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
PVID is the is 'Port Vlan ID" I believe. Terminology can be confusing at times. Glad you got it working.