Can cameras access internet thru a NAS?

JDavis

n3wb
Reaction score
Newbish networking question here please. For now I use a Synology NAS and its "Surveillance Station" camera management package. Hope to upgrade to a Blue Iris setup in the future, but for now it's what I'm working with.

This NAS serves no other purpose (backups and file serving are handled by a different NAS). Though I have my cameras blocked from the internet by 24/7 time restrictions within my ASUS router, I'm thinking of trying to isolate my cameras from the internet even further. I'm considering putting the cameras and their NAS on their own switch. This switch wouldn't have any router or direct internet connection. I'd also connect the NAS to my main network switch, for LAN and VPN remote access to the Surveillance Station software, and for periodic updates to the NAS itself.

Would it be possible for the cameras to access the internet thru the NAS? The NAS has two ethernet ports, but now that I think about it I'm unsure if they can even both be utilized in this way. Perhaps it can if I continue to ensure there are no IP address conflicts.

Seems like this would be a far easier solution than VLANs or other isolation strategies I've considered, but hopefully someone else can confirm whether or not this is a viable method.

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From a tinfoil hat theory, anything connected to a wire can reach out to the net.... even from the power side ( unless you're behind a rotary UPS system :rolleyes: )

Yes VLANS will be better to use as with a private network, you will still need a switch to control the IP's.

I too use Synology and I am setting up a new BI system. That way I have built-in redundancy to my recordings. If either Synology or BI fails I still have a recording. And also a card in each camera as well as a backup of a backup of a back up.