Can Cat5 be run between telephone poles??

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can Cat5 be run between telephone poles on private property and if so, I would imagine it would need some sort of cable support to tie off to??
Any help is appreciated. I'm hopeing someone here has done this before.

Pic below

PXL_20230324_154307992.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use outdoor rated and sure. People have done it from their house out into trees and along poles.

Anything you can do to try to keep stress off of it would be a good thing.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Have you thought about an outdoor wifi extender? If it is between the poles over the road,
good luck as the right of way is owned and rented to the utility companies by the "State".

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Use outdoor rated and sure. People have done it from their house out into trees and along poles.

Anything you can do to try to keep stress off of it would be a good thing.
Thanks for the reply, any idea the max hanging span for outdoor rated cat5?

Have you thought about an outdoor wifi extender? If it is between the poles over the road,
good luck as the right of way is owned and rented to the utility companies by the "State".
Good point. This is actually a recycle transit area for the city DPW so its not a throughway.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not that you would want to do it as it exceeds the distance of a single run signal without another amplifier or POE device, but true cable says 328 feet LOL

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not that you would want to do it as it exceeds the distance of a single run signal without another amplifier or POE device, but true cable says 328 feet LOL

Perfect! Thanks for the link!

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good luck! For about the cost of a 500ft box of outdoor cat5, you could get some Ubiquiti point-to-point radios. We use those at work on a college campus where we can't run fiber to the building. They are rock solid with plenty of throughput and reliability.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good luck! For about the cost of a 500ft box of outdoor cat5, you could get some Ubiquiti point-to-point radios. We use those at work on a college campus where we can't run fiber to the building. They are rock solid with plenty of throughput and reliability.
But after factoring in putting receptacles on each pole. It starts to get pricey!

sdmark

n3wb
Reaction score
From the same site, an article and video about cable with a a "messenger wire" (support wire), which they happen to sell:

$258 for 1000 feet is less than I expected.

clofan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From the same site, an article and video about cable with a a "messenger wire" (support wire), which they happen to sell:

$258 for 1000 feet is less than I expected.
Yeah that's a great deal. I was expecting copper clad aluminum but it says pure solid copper core.

Are you trying to put the cam on the pole, or just somewhere on the other side of the road? Curious about the distances, it's easy to hit max length when running between structures.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@rufunky , what's your geographic area?
I ask because of lightning.

Aside from possible issues with who actually owns the pole (utility co.'s generally have a maintenance easement for their poles, even on private property) I would not be stringing overhead metallic cable between poles in an area with periodic, high-energy lightning.....it's an antenna that invites damage from ESD (static) induced by nearby lighting strikes.

I agree with @clofan ...if you have LOS (Line Of Sight) put Ubiquiti radios on 2 poles and you're done, matter of a couple of hours, no climbing several poles....not to mention the lightning issue. But even then I'd double-check about permission to install on those poles...and I'd be sure to get it in writing, nothing verbal.

Last edited:

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@rufunky
.....Aside from possible issues with who actually owns the pole (utility co.'s generally have a maintenance easment for their poles, even on private property)....
This. Who owns the poles? If it isn't you, there's a very slim chance any utility company is going to permit you to to do anything.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are you trying to put the cam on the pole, or just somewhere on the other side of the road? Curious about the distances, it's easy to hit max length when running between structures.
4 cams on 4 different poles. I'll have to measure to see if it exceeds poe or poe+ max distance.

@rufunky , what's your geographic area?
I ask because of lightning.

Aside from possible issues with who actually owns the pole (utility co.'s generally have a maintenance easment for their poles, even on private property) I would not be stringing overhead metallic cable between poles in an area with periodic, high-energy lightning.....it's an antenna that invites damage from ESD (static) induced by nearby lighting strikes.

I agree with @clofan ...if you have LOS (Line Of Sight) put on 2 poles and you're done, matter of a couple of hours, no climbing several poles....not to mention the lightning issue. But even then I'd double-check about permission to install on those poles...and I'd be sure to get it in writing, nothing verbal.
I'm in Massachusetts. Good point about getting it in writing. This is actually for the towns recycle center so the electric company "may" be more lenient.

Trouttuber

n3wb
Reaction score
As stated, the poles are owned by someone, and they usually have an easement which includes the lines. The easement for the ones on my property are 3' on all sides. Another thing you need to think about is if there is a fire or loss of power they could say your wires were a contributing cause. That said, that could make you liable for any damage caused by said fire or outage. Even if you weren't at fault you could spend 100's of thousands of dollars to prove it. Risk definitely not worth the reward to me.

Either way, generally overhead residential power lines carry 380 volts or so. Wouldn't that affect cat cables. I know they recommend that you don't run them next to power lines in the home and that is only 120v in the states.