Can I modify Blink video doorbell to take power supply from 12/5/3V transformer instead of batteries?

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the Blink video doorbell that I purchased about 1 year ago. First, when I saw the title of the amazon product, they had this in it "... wired or wire-free". So I got fooled into thinking I can connect the video door bell to a dc 12v transformer so I can record 24/7. But then, of course after buying it, I found out how they advertised it was misleading and the 'wired' was only to be used with a chime (which I don't use).

Now, after some time, it was outside and not working because I got tired of replacing the batteries. So I thought of connecting it to a variable power supply with 3V, since it has 2 AA 1.5 batteries connected in series. I connected it to the variable power supply to test the idea of providing the device with power from a transformer. However, the device was only blinking red once and then it stops blinking (normally, it would blink till it get synched). So I increased the voltage to 6V, and I soon regret it. Now, it doesn't blink at all and it stopped working even when batteries are inserted.

I think the fuses got busted. I just need to solder in new fuses and things might work.

However, my question is, is it possible to modify this device so I can connect it to a 12/5V transformer and then I can achieve 24/7 hours recording with motion detection of course without worrying about batteries dying out?

Gargoile

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What was the output amperage of your transformer?

Once you find the needed amperage & voltage of the Blink you can put in a in-line resistor.

tmcdiscord

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What was the output amperage of your transformer?

Once you find the needed amperage & voltage of the Blink you can put in a in-line resistor.
I'm not really sure if I remember, perhaps 0.2 amps. What is an in-line resistor? Is that just a normal resistor?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure the PSU you were using output DC? Can’t see any other reason why it wouldn’t work unless the batteries are in parallel?

I used to have a Ring Pro doorbell but replaced it with a Pro 2 and the sneaky Rings gits had replaced the transformer requirements, the Pro needed a 24v AC supply whereas the Pro 2 requires a 24v DC supply so had me scratching my head for quite a while.