Can I wire a speaker in remote location?

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last night I had a scary event, I looked outside and for a second I thought I'd left engine running and car in reverse and so as I went out to turn it off, I realised my car was being stolen.

Video Here

What I want to do is set up an outdoor speaker positioned on my driveway so that next time someone triggers a movement sensor, it sets off a siren sound. Let's face it, I don't really want to meet any of these gits in future, detering them is far safer.
I have today installed a new Camera which has one objective and that is to trigger alerts accurately and without false alarms. It has no requirement of good facial recognition.

I am thinking about the following options and perhaps implementing two if reasonably manageable , but I would like any guidance to consider if they all would work, I am pretty sure C will work and have great sound:-

a) My cameras are all Dahua IP cams purchased through our IP man Andy. Next to the cameras RJ45 socket, there is a MIC socket, can I connect small speakers to this?

b) My POE switch is in the room next to the driveway, can I route a speaker off that using RJ45 and link it to my Blue Iris somehow?

c) I have a huge amp/AV receiver about 25 meters away elsewhere in the house used for my TV and Surround Sound, I can (memory pending) at night time leave the zone turned on which allows the AV receiver to view Blue Iris. Plus I would run a 25m speaker wire to the outside driveway area (which is well protected from weather) and it would on alert blast out a siren sound, directly onto the theives as soon as they step onto my land.

I know this would scare them off instantly as nobody really wants to get caught and this wouldn't give them time to act for any time unnoticed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OMG you are so lucky you had that gate. How did you not beat the $#!+ out of them. You were way bigger than them and had the adrenaline going!

You can absolutely connect an external speaker to the camera (need to power it somehow) and then use BI to send audio to it.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well you never know if they're carrying weapons and to be honest, when I went outside, I thought I'd accidentally left the engine on and was surprised to see what I saw.

Not sure how they started it, somehow they hacked the system which is related to keyless ignition. This was made easier for them because my doors were not locked, so they didn't need to unlock also which is a second hack, which I hear takes longer.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Jacksonspop1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Rhodesy what solution did you come up with? links to speaker and amp or power supply? i need to do the same as you are doing. thanks.