Can Noctua Low Noise Adapter work for Cisco Switch?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Only one way to find out…

You did buy Enterprise gear. It’s definitely not made to run quiet and it will run hot. Even more so if you lower the fan voltage which will make the fan slow down. That kind of device is made to run in a closet away from people.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why not replace the fan with a Noctua fan?
I'm fairly sure the 'low noise' adaptors tell the fan to run at a lower speed and that would mean your Cisco fans may not be combatable.

I use Noctua fan's and I wish I bought them sooner. They are awesome products.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not replace the fan with a Noctua fan?
I'm fairly sure the 'low noise' adaptors tell the fan to run at a lower speed and that would mean your Cisco fans may not be combatable.

I use Noctua fan's and I wish I bought them sooner. They are awesome products.
I don't think noctua has the blower fan for my switch.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think noctua has the blower fan for my switch.
Something like this?
Those looks like two 40*40*20mm fans, such as these: NF-A4x20 PWM
Two fans staked in a sign this device needs some serious air flow and would overheat if the fan speed was reduced.

It's likely the fan controller is setting the speed and would shutdown the device if a fan is not running at the correct speed.
I tried on a Bosch video server to lower the fan speed and the unit shutdown because it though the fans were faulty.

1684037843123.png

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It actually looked like this:

Someone has tried it with the low noise adapter but I don't know how long his switch has lasted:

Something like this?
Two fans staked in a sign this device needs some serious air flow and would overheat if the fan speed was reduced.

It's likely the fan controller is setting the speed and would shutdown the device if a fan is not running at the correct speed.
I tried on a Bosch video server to lower the fan speed and the unit shutdown because it though the fans were faulty.

View attachment 162978

Something like this?

View attachment 162978

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the back of the Switch?
Maybe your V2 version is a different animal.
mine had hot swap fans and hot swap PSU's
very proprietary. Even if you do change something, people say the internal log can just keep throwing a fan error code in perpetuity.
At least i was told that about my 2g200-26 fan,
So its now living in the garage.
Case closed.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
This is for the 3560X. your appears to be more of non-enterprise type fan like you find on a Dell Optiplex Mini or SFF Processor type cooler.
1684041656173.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
It's cheap to find out.....LOL...keep researching....share your results with the guys so more people can make the FrankenCisco for their setup :)

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have a photo of the back of the Switch?
Maybe your V2 version is a different animal.
mine had hot swap fans and hot swap PSU's
very proprietary. Even if you do change something, people say the internal log can just keep throwing a fan error code in perpetuity.
At least i was told that about my 2g200-26 fan,
So its now living in the garage.
Case closed.
This is the back of my switch. It's not hot swap type.

Attachments

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's cheap to find out.....LOL...keep researching....share your results with the guys so more people can make the FrankenCisco for their setup :)
So, just want to share what I ended up doing. I tested with the Noctua low noise filter, didn't do much, I think the resistor was not rated properly for the stock fan.

I ordered a much less powerful 3 pin blower fan from Amazon but it didn't work when I connected to the switch. I did more research, Cisco somehow changed their 3 pin connector so not any fan will work. I had to move the wires of the fan around and it works, it's so much quieter.

Of course, Cisco switch is giving warning. I checked the console log, it complains about the fan is not working but temperature is OK. I'm going to keep it this way.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I ordered a much less powerful 3 pin blower fan from Amazon

Of course, Cisco switch is giving warning. I checked the console log, it complains about the fan is not working but temperature is OK. I'm going to keep it this way.
3 pins is power + pwm input signal.
4 pin fans have power + pwm input + pwm output.

The switch is complaining because you didn't buy a 4-pin fan with pwm signal output (lets the fan controller count if it is spinning at the right speed).

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
3 pins is power + pwm input signal.
4 pin fans have power + pwm input + pwm output.

The switch is complaining because you didn't buy a 4-pin fan with pwm signal output (lets the fan controller count if it is spinning at the right speed).
The stock fan is 3 pin, I have the 3560v2 switch.

I haven't figured out how to suppress the error log via the console and there's amber light on the switch. As long as my IPCams are working, I'm good

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Tricky Bastards.
I heard about this issue log file problem last year when I mentioned if anyone might have " Noctua-ed" a Cisco.....So the motherfucker resides in the garage.