Can NVR NVR4108-8P-4KS2 connect to a tablet or similar?

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Would it be easy for me to have a tablet somewhere in the house (same wifi) that shows all the camera feeds with the above NVR? I may mount it in the lounge or somewhere etc.

http://pl.dahuasecurity.com/download/DHI-NVR4108_4116-8P-4KS2_Datasheet_20161028.pdf

I am about to get the above and some cameras from the friendly and efficient Andy. :)

Thanks!!

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Install i/gDMSS Plus (iOS/Android) - free app on your phone/tablet.
Good luck!
CC

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wont' work..........

I tried it..... after exactly 72 hours... they cut the feed and every cam goes blank. The app didn't crash.

Don't ask me how I know. iDMSS and Amcrest VIew Pro all have the same problem... after 48 hours, it times out. I asked Amcrest what gives. They escalated and escalated the issue. They reproduced it. Finally, they finally came back and told me... sorry, but we set a timer (72hours) to cut the feed purposely to prevent data consumption. I asked them, why can't you make a version or a feature where you don't care about data consumption (such as being on WiFi). They said... they have no plans to make that change or feature.

You are more than welcome to prove me wrong and try it. But I've tried it on both apps. Same result. Leave the ipad on for 3+ days, plugged into the wall. Then come back after 72 hours. Make sure you disable the screen from turning off.

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
all have the same problem
Oh dear. Oh well, if I have to run a long HDMI one day, I suppose I will just have to do it.

Is there a way to use a CAT5e to do the distribution of the video? I have one spare leaving the switch area.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The ONLY app that I have been using for IOS that has been working flawlessly for what you want to do is Live Cams Pro. But for whatever reason, this app (and possibly the company) is gone. So you cannot download it no more.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Rebs ,

What about Tinycam for an Android tablet? The app creator and forum member @alexvas can answer your questions.

Tinycam works on my old Samsung tablet. I ran it for about 4 1/2 days. It did crash a few times when I loaded up a few more cameras, but the crash was only when I started entering menus and bouncing around. It could have been because my tablet was old. Nonetheless, if you left it alone, I think it may work.

I will eventually switch to either a Microsoft Go tablet or do HDMI over ethernet. Not sure which yet.

However..... the best way is:

Get a HDMI over ethernet, and just plug it into the back of the NVR. Then get a cheap 10-15 inch monitor, and a wireless mouse. Wallah. Its' cheap, reliable, works!

The second best way is probably a Windows Tablet by Microsoft. Why? Because you can run virtually ANY surveillance app on it. You're not tied down to Android, IOS, etc. In fact, I see hundreds of available surveillance apps and even Dahua's SmartPSS and Amcrest View Pro can be run on it as a video wall 24/7. It should be quite stable too running Windows 10 which is NT based.

The third option is Tiny Cam on android...

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Below is a picture of my set up currently at my home. (I am not showing you my Live Feeds :)

But any how, that's what it looks like. It's clean, elegant, stable.

IMG_3590.JPG