Can someone suggest a good Hikvision dome camera?

wubbadubba

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase my first camera. I would like Hikvision, POE, dome style, low profile if possible, (white to match my soffit outside). I'd prefer to spend under $150 which I think would get me something decent for a starter cam. I would like to purchase from Nelly to avoid the pitfalls of firmware upgrade issues etc.

thanks!

mark4470

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm sure the Guys at Nelly's can fix you up, Great customer service indeed..

ekaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a cmip3042w from milkisbad here on the forum. It's a 4mp turrnet camera, great picture.

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey @wubbadubba, are you planning to record to a PC using a software (like BlueIris) or wanting to record to a MicroSD card or a NVR?

Last edited:

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
If you're looking for an "all-in-one" dome we have a 3MP Hikvision mini dome that has a built in microphone, excellent quality video, Alarm I/O, microSD card slot, and is very low profile. Hikvisions model number is DS-2CD2532F-IS.

We currently have it on sale: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/hikvision-compact-weatherproof-vandal-dome-3mp-ip-security-camera-274.html

If you don't plan to record directly to the camera I would suggest the Hikvision EXIR dome. Hikvisions model is DS-2CD2342WD-I. This dome is an excellent general coverage camera that can record at 4MP and really stands out when it comes to night shots. The large infrared LED produces a more distributed IR across the view vs the "flashlight effect" you see with many other cameras night shots.

It's slightly over your budget but well worth the money. Also, if you haven't used the IPCamTalk discount code yet you can get 5% off the order which should help a bit: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/nsc-2x4-dm-4mp-wdr-exir-turret-ip-security-camera-2-8mm.html

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you don't plan to record directly to the camera I would suggest the Hikvision EXIR dome. Hikvisions model is DS-2CD2342WD-I. This dome is an excellent general coverage camera that can record at 4MP and really stands out when it comes to night shots. The large infrared LED produces a more distributed IR across the view vs the "flashlight effect" you see with many other cameras night shots.
I have this exact one with a 4mm lens mounted under my soffit, which I'm sure is pretty similar to what you are planning. If you want I can post a picture tomorrow so you get an idea of how it looks. I also used a junction box designed specifically for it that can be found here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXAHDTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided against the dome because of the IR bleed that everyone here talks about. This EXIR turret is nice but I don't have any experience with other ones to compare it to.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wubbadubba

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this exact one with a 4mm lens mounted under my soffit, which I'm sure is pretty similar to what you are planning. If you want I can post a picture tomorrow so you get an idea of how it looks. I also used a junction box designed specifically for it that can be found here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BXAHDTQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I decided against the dome because of the IR bleed that everyone here talks about. This EXIR turret is nice but I don't have any experience with other ones to compare it to.
That would be great if you could post a pic of it, thanks.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wubbadubba

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I'm going to record it yet. I've got an old laptop with Ubuntu that I could record to but I'm not sure how well that would work. Is that a good method? If so I'd go with the turret style.

wubbadubba

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're looking for an "all-in-one" dome we have a 3MP Hikvision mini dome that has a built in microphone, excellent quality video, Alarm I/O, microSD card slot, and is very low profile. Hikvisions model number is DS-2CD2532F-IS.

We currently have it on sale: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/3-mp/hikvision-compact-weatherproof-vandal-dome-3mp-ip-security-camera-274.html

It's slightly over your budget but well worth the money. Also, if you haven't used the IPCamTalk discount code yet you can get 5% off the order which should help a bit: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/4-mp/nsc-2x4-dm-4mp-wdr-exir-turret-ip-security-camera-2-8mm.html
I'm not sure how I'm going to record it yet. I've got an old laptop with Ubuntu that I could record to but I'm not sure how well that would work. Is that a good method? If so I'd go with the pricier one.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay I've been working crazy hours. But here's one I snapped this morning real quick. I had issues trying to get the wire thru the wall so I used the connection box I listed above and some watertight conduit tubing. The connection box adds about an inch and half to the drop but allows the wires to be tucked up inside nicely.

Attachments

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Stay away from the dome cameras unless your using them inside. They are not nearly as good as the turrets, especially in outside use (because of the infrared)

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't forget that you don't have to rely on the built-in IR source. It's one more thing to install, but you can always get more even illumination, less "hot spot" on nearby objects, and less bugs & spiders in front of the camera if you use a separate IR illuminator mounted some distance away.

That said, I have an outdoor dome and I do not see a problem with IR reflections, even with the internal IR enabled. BUT I was careful during install to not touch any inside surface on the dome, and leave the outside protective film on until I had it all mounted. I am sure any fingerprints on the dome surface could cause trouble.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
beware, domes exposed to direct sunlight will degrade from UV exposure with enough time.. one should really try to avoid using them outside unless you really need the vandal protection.

all plastics will loose a battle against the sun given enough time.. go look at some old plastic covered headlights or all the shit littering an ocean beach.