Can't Connect Camera

EOAEvan

n3wb
Reaction score
First attempt at this so please forgive the ignorance. Pretty sure this is a I don't know what I don't know situation and when it comes to networking that's pretty much everything.

Camera: IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E
Switch: IPCamPower 16 Port POE Network Switch W/ 2 Gigabit Uplink Ports

I have 2 computes hooked up to the switch in the regular ports (not uplink). The router is connected to the switch via the uplink port. The camera is in a 3rd regular port. Both PC's have ConfigTool installed. Via ConfigTool one of them can see the camera the other cannot. On the PC where ConfigTool can see the camera I also have Blue Iris installed. Blue Iris cannot see the camera. ConfigTool has a amber colored bar under status and fails to change the IP or Get Device Info. I cannot access the camera via the default IP address in a web browser on either PC. The router see's both PC's but not the camera.

When plugged into the switch or hitting the reset button I can hear the camera start up as it adjusts the lens.
Both PC's can access the internet.
Both PC's as I understand it are in the correct IP range 192.168.200.xx
Both PC's match the subnet
I have reset the camera. No change.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is how most of us get the cameras to the IP address of our system:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system. (It appears yours is 192.168.200.x)

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1666664560176.png

Then power up your camera and wait a few minutes.

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it your country and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

OR use the IPconfig Tool, but most of us prefer the above as it is one less program needed and one less chance for the cameras to phone home or for something to get screwed up.

Plus you shouldn't have the camera go thru the router, but that is a whole other discussion...

EOAEvan

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. I'd seen that info on another post and it didn't work for me but tried it again. This time decided to make sure my IP updated checking the IP config. It didnt.. I was 1 screen to deep for it to accept the changes. Also thought that 200 was within the same range as 1? From what I read as long as it was between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255 it should be the same range. Either way, that worked. Thank you!

Curious though. This method wouldnt have the cameras going through the router would it? All of them and the PC doing the recording are connected direcly to the switch. Or are you just saying it shouldnt be connected to the router at all even though the switch?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first three sets of number have to be the same, so you at 192.168.200.xx and the camera at 193.168.1.108 won't see each other.

It depends on what your LAN IP address range is as to whether it may or may not go thru the router. If your LAN is the same 3 sets of numbers as the cams then you are giving your cameras the ability to be accessed by the internet.

Best practice is to VLAN or dual NIC your BI computer to keep the IP address range of the cameras different than your home internet range.

Kevman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From what I read as long as it was between 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.255.255 it should be the same range.
If your subnet mask is 255.255.0.0, then 192.168.1.xx and 192.168.255.xx can talk.
But usually subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, so they talk within the last octet (last segment of IP address)

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you change that pc to 192.168.1.100, it must be unplugged from the router but needs to be plugged into the poe switch and camera. After you change the camera ip to your 192.168.200.xxx range you can plug the router back in.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Ya know I'm an average Joe,,,,and I had have a Laptop...and a switch.. and last week forcing my IP address to . . ..100 and running The Ipconfig tool from it....still yeilded a non-connection to my freshly reset Dahua 5231-z12.....
I'm no guru,,,,,So plugged the motherfucker into an NVR and it assigned it an address,(10.something) whereby I was then able to log in, and made it static at 192.168.0.107.....and saved my work and it dissappeared from NVR but I was able to locate it in Blue iris at that address...using" FIND/Inspect
and now its up....
more than one way to beat this dead horse