Can't connect to new PTZ camera (beginner)

sagaofjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I am going crazy like everyone had their first time.
I have a new DH-SD49425XB-HNR-G I ordered from Andy. At first I could not get it to recognize on the PC and I realized I had a POE inejctor not a POE+. Fixed that and now ConfigTool will recognize it. Then it had the wrong IP and I could not initialize it. I reset it and now I have initialized it through ConfigTool. I used ConfigTool to initialize because nomatter what I did, I cannot log into the new camera when I go to its IP address.
1.png ConfigTool
2.pngCamera's settings

One thing I notice is the gateway. It is 192.168.1.1. I am NOT a networking expert but from my understanding my gateway is 192.168.0.1. Maybe this is the problem why I cannot seem to log in? I cant seem to change the gateway though because it gives me an error saying "The IP address, the gateway, or the mask is not match!"

A couple off-topic questions
1. Does the camera require an SD card in it to operate? I have a 32gb that came with a dashcam I could maybe use? I dont need local storage though.
2. Once I am able to get inside of this camera, how can I route it into one of my NVRs?
3. Should I give it a new static IP? If so, just any number like 192.168.1.463?

Please help!
Thank you

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably easiest since you already have it installed and working, use Config Tool to change the IP of the cam to a 192.168.0.x address.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
After you initialize a camera, which forces you to set a password, you have to enter this password into Search Setting, and re-do the search. You should change the camera's IP address. You need to place the camera on your subnet, or use DHCP, which is probably not a good choice. You don't have to be anything close to a network expert to set this up, but do need a little bit of basic understanding. From the screen shot I'm assuming your subnet is 192.168.0.xxx. If that's correct, the camera's IP needs to be on that subnet.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
If so, just any number like 192.168.1.463?
The largest number you can use in any part of an IP address is 255 (an 8-bit binary number represented in base 10). Assuming your router assigns IP addresses using DHCP, you need to either let the camera get an assignment via DHCP (which I recommend against, or know what address range your router uses for assignments, so you can avoid that range.

sagaofjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Probably easiest since you already have it installed and working, use Config Tool to change the IP of the cam to a 192.168.0.x address.
AH GOT IT.
Now that error message finally makes sense.
I was trying to change the 3rd digit in the gateway without changing the IP addresses 3rd digit. Meaning I was doing IP 192.168.0.199 and gateway 192.168.1.1
Now I changed the third number of both of 0 and I can log in finally :)

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello, I am going crazy like everyone had their first time.
I have a new DH-SD49425XB-HNR-G I ordered from Andy. At first I could not get it to recognize on the PC and I realized I had a POE inejctor not a POE+. Fixed that and now ConfigTool will recognize it. Then it had the wrong IP and I could not initialize it. I reset it and now I have initialized it through ConfigTool. I used ConfigTool to initialize because nomatter what I did, I cannot log into the new camera when I go to its IP address.
View attachment 168797 ConfigTool
View attachment 168798Camera's settings

One thing I notice is the gateway. It is 192.168.1.1. I am NOT a networking expert but from my understanding my gateway is 192.168.0.1. Maybe this is the problem why I cannot seem to log in? I cant seem to change the gateway though because it gives me an error saying "The IP address, the gateway, or the mask is not match!"

A couple off-topic questions
1. Does the camera require an SD card in it to operate? I have a 32gb that came with a dashcam I could maybe use? I dont need local storage though.
2. Once I am able to get inside of this camera, how can I route it into one of my NVRs?
3. Should I give it a new static IP? If so, just any number like 192.168.1.463?

Please help!
Thank you
Here are my answers to your questions:
1) The PTZ camera does not require an SD card to operate but I would install one if you have it for onboard storage. You will need to format it through the PTZ camera webpage before the camera can use it.
2) Once your PTZ camera is set up and working, go into your NVR and search for new devices and it should discover the PTZ camera on the network via it's IP address and then you can add it to the NVR.
3) A static IP address is recommended because otherwise every time you power cycle the PTZ camera or the router the camera could be assigned a new IP address and then your NVR won't see it anymore.
You can temporarily use the dynamic IP address assigned to the PTZ camera by your router via DHCP and then just make it a static address so the camera will always use that same IP address.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You answered my question as I was writing it Starglow.
One more question. I could theoretically hardwire this camera straight into my Lorex LNR616. Is this adviseable or possible?
I am going to attempt to connect them how you said now, but I am wondering if hardwiring would be simpler.
The NVR doesn't care if the camera is direct connected to it or on a network switch it can still find it assuming the IP addresses are in the same range.

sagaofjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are my answers to your questions:
1) The PTZ camera does not require an SD card to operate but I would install one if you have it for onboard storage. You will need to format it through the PTZ camera webpage before the camera can use it.
2) Once your PTZ camera is set up and working, go into your NVR and search for new devices and it should discover the PTZ camera on the network via it's IP address and then you can add it to the NVR.
3) A static IP address is recommended because otherwise every time you power cycle the PTZ camera or the router the camera could be assigned a new IP address and then your NVR won't see it anymore.
You can temporarily use the dynamic IP address assigned to the PTZ camera by your router via DHCP and then just make it a static address so the camera will always use that same IP address.
Omg it worked so easily as you said. No need to hardwire it when it already works. Thank you.

Would you be able to confirm if my thinking is correct?
1. I set up the camera's settings on my PC. These settings are stored in the camera.
2. All video recordings are saved onto the NVR that I open the camera onto
3. If I want to utilize this advanced camera's features, I need to log in to the camera to make changes and NOT on the Lorex NVR's software.
4. There may be a way to connect to the camera on my iPhone

sagaofjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Random question. The camera came with 1 ethernet port, but also like 8 more other cables. I do not have a need for these other cables. Should I snip them? I am worried about water getting inside of them and possibly travelling down and damaging the camera further over time.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Omg it worked so easily as you said. No need to hardwire it when it already works. Thank you.

Would you be able to confirm if my thinking is correct?
1. I set up the camera's settings on my PC. These settings are stored in the camera.
2. All video recordings are saved onto the NVR that I open the camera onto
3. If I want to utilize this advanced camera's features, I need to log in to the camera to make changes and NOT on the Lorex NVR's software.
4. There may be a way to connect to the camera on my iPhone
Yep....you got it! :)

If the PTZ camera is on your Lorex NVR then you can use the Lorex Cloud app on your phone to view it and all other cameras on your NVR. The app can also control PTZ movement functions, but it's painfully slow.

sagaofjay

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep....you got it! :)

If the PTZ camera is on your Lorex NVR then you can use the Lorex Cloud app on your phone to view it and all other cameras on your NVR. The app can also control PTZ movement functions, but it's painfully slow.
What is the best way to control the camera from my phone? Is there an app you recommend?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Random question. The camera came with 1 ethernet port, but also like 8 more other cables. I do not have a need for these other cables. Should I snip them? I am worried about water getting inside of them and possibly travelling down and damaging the camera further over time.
No...don't snip them off because that's asking for trouble. If they came with the little plastic covers on them, just leave the plastic covers on and wrap the connectors with electrical tape. If they didn't have any plastic covers then just use the electrical tape making sure the connector ends are sealed. The connectors should not be left exposed to the elements and should tuck into the camera mount base or an electrical box behind the camera mount to keep them from getting wet.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What is the best way to control the camera from my phone? Is there an app you recommend?
Use the Lorex Cloud app below. Lorex software sucks in general so don't set your expectations too high, but it does work most of the time.