Cant get 4k without dropping frames with IPC-Color4K-T-2.8mm .

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all

Ive had one of these cameras for a while but since hooking it upto blueiris have realised that alot of frames/recordings are getting lost, sometimes a few seconds of no data. I've tried reducing settings to 3072x2048 and that improves things but when 3840x2160 at anything about 12 fps its losing alot. The only way is if i put it at 10fps and 8192.
I,m running on a wired 1gbe btw. Is this to be expected or is there an issue somewhere.
Thanks

heres my settings
1718887455798.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried these?
  • Encoding strategy: General (or Smart Codec: Off)
  • Encode mode: H264
  • Bitrate type: CBR
  • Bit rate: 8192
  • Frame rate: 15 FPS
  • Frame interval (iFrame): 15
I'd set FPS and frame interval to be the same. IOW, if you want 10FPS, set iFrame to 10 also.
Also I'd set sub stream to CBR, FPS and frame interval to 10, max bit rate to 2048 if available. :cool:

pr1970

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have you tried these?
  • Encoding strategy: General (or Smart Codec: Off)
  • Encode mode: H264
  • Bitrate type: CBR
  • Bit rate: 8192
  • Frame rate: 15 FPS
  • Frame interval (iFrame): 15
I'd set FPS and frame interval to be the same. IOW, if you want 10FPS, set iFrame to 10 also.
Also I'd set sub stream to CBR, FPS and frame interval to 10, max bit rate to 2048 if available. :cool:
Thanks, thats helped being H264 but i put it upto about bitrate:15000 otherwise there would be streaks behind cars going across.
One thing i've realised now is that the live stream on the camera in h264 is blurred at full screen but if you digital zoom its clearer, you dont get this in h265, its sharp regardless of zoom .One reason why i had it on h265 in the first place.
Thanks again

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It seems there's no one size fits all schema, it's a good starting point then adjust as necessary. And it can change between brands and even model to model within a brand. :cool:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, thats helped being H264 but i put it upto about bitrate:15000 otherwise there would be streaks behind cars going across.
One thing i've realised now is that the live stream on the camera in h264 is blurred at full screen but if you digital zoom its clearer, you dont get this in h265, its sharp regardless of zoom .One reason why i had it on h265 in the first place.
Thanks again
That’s weird, typically it’s the other way around…

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^
+1

Im actually running h.264.h, 30FPS, CBR, 16386 bitrate on a Dahua NVR with no issues

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
View attachment 196916

I'm feeding a Color 4-KT 2.8 mm into SecuritySpy (essentially a MacOS analog for BlueIris) using these settings and without frame drops.

how do you like SecuritySpy?

i have tried it years ago and thought it was nice. think there has been some major updates.

let me know what you like and dont like. im a mac guy as well.

Mark_M

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder if your reduced FPS is because of IVS or SMD or another function taking many resources.
E.g. you have 10 IVS rules, each with 30 points. Over doing AI rules can cause issues.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
how do you like SecuritySpy?

i have tried it years ago and thought it was nice. think there has been some major updates.

let me know what you like and dont like. im a mac guy as well.
SecuritySpy has been a solid performer for us over well over seven years. Started out with an iMac, then a Mac Pro, and Mac mini M2, and now a Mac Studio. Current SS version is perfect match for an M2 Mac. The M2's provide a LOT more graphical processing power than the M1's. Get as much RAM as you can afford. With over 20 cameras, RAM becomes the bottleneck.

SS now has decent AI detection of human, animal, and automobiles. It works well but you do need a fast machine for best results. It is very nice not being independent of camera object detection.

Only downside to SS, is the licensing cost, but despite that, I find it a compelling value and really love the stability of it combined with MacOS.