Can't get pan/tilt to work on a HDBW1431E

Reaction score
It's normally attached to a Dahua NVR - at home with me currently trying to dope it out.

I realized it's a fixed lens, but I know the specs indicate it's pan/tilt - and it has what looks like a gimbal.

Lens remains in it's straight down position.

Hard to believe I would have to open the dome and aim it.

I feel like a dolt - there's just not much configuration wrt ptz.

Surprisingly, waving a rubber chicken at it had no effect.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Also surprised the rubber chicken didnt do it,... but may be because thats not a motorized PTZ.

Pretty sure you have to manually aim the camera.

Reaction score
I suspect you're right.

What's annoying is that it's built like a ptz - and is not remotely user friendly in terms of manually aiming it.
I have several of the HDW1320's, and I kinda wish I'd just picked up another of those.
I wasn't looking for pan/tilt - I just wanted a bit more tamper resistance as this will be easily accessible - but when I looked at the construction of this, I wondered.
Then I looked at specs which indicate pan/tilt as features.
If they mean "yeah, you can manually aim it anywhere you want" - that's kind of dumb.
I guess I should have considered that 'tamper resistance' also imposes a barrier to my tampering with it.
Personally, I would be reluctant to buy any cam that wasn't ptz, unless for a very niche use.
I got these for a client who wanted to lowball, and the first time I get called out to re-aim it because they've changed their mind, he'll be out the cost of a comparable ptz.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect you're right.

What's annoying is that it's built like a ptz - and is not remotely user friendly in terms of manually aiming it.
I have several of the HDW1320's, and I kinda wish I'd just picked up another of those.
I wasn't looking for pan/tilt - I just wanted a bit more tamper resistance as this will be easily accessible - but when I looked at the construction of this, I wondered.
Then I looked at specs which indicate pan/tilt as features.
If they mean "yeah, you can manually aim it anywhere you want" - that's kind of dumb.
I guess I should have considered that 'tamper resistance' also imposes a barrier to my tampering with it.
Personally, I would be reluctant to buy any cam that wasn't ptz, unless for a very niche use.
I got these for a client who wanted to lowball, and the first time I get called out to re-aim it because they've changed their mind, he'll be out the cost of a comparable ptz.
They are NOT a PTZ, they simply are manually adjustable....as designed.
If you are installing these for folks, you need to understand your products better.
Always use a temporary mount to test the proposed locations first for proper FOV.
Mulitple fix lens cameras, properly placed, and proper FOV is almost always better than a PTZ. A PTZ has a high chance of looking the wrong direction when something happens.